I can't load the synth as an effect anymore

Bug Reporting
Mario Berlinguer

I can't load the synth as an effect anymore

Post by Mario Berlinguer »

I've a question... please keep in mind that i'm not a smart person when it comes to vst (ok, maybe i'm just not smart at all)

I'm trying to use Karma for modifying the sound of another VST instrument (a very basic piano). I thought I could select "input" from the generator, but nothing happens. Then I thought I should open the synth as an effect on the piano channel, but Cubase sayd "The effect could not be installed", even though it's in the list. It loads the other Karma FXs without problems.

I went to my VST directory on the HD to check if it was there. Here's a list of the dll files that are in the KarmaFX directory under VST, with the date that shows on the file's info (M/DD/YY):

KarmaFX Deelay (10/01/06)
KarmaFX Equalizer (9/30/06)
KarmaFX Filter (9/30/06)
KarmaFX Reverb (9/30/06)
KarmaFX Synth FX (2/17/07)
KarmaFX Synth (2/17/07)

Then, there's another folder inside (it's called KarmaFX_Synth), and inside that there's another dll, called KarmaFX Synth Core (2/18/07).

Does anybody know why cubase can't load the synth as an effect? Maybe this feature isn't available anymore?
Can anybody please explain me how to "wire" the input in the generator? Maybe it just can't be done, and the input can "only" be a true audio file?

Thank you very much

Mario
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Hi Mario! ...of course it can be done! :)

Your'e right: When you want to use the synth as an effect you should use the "KarmaFX Synth FX" VST plugin, which is an effect plugin instead of "KarmaFX Synth" which is a VSTi (VST instrument)...

(You might want to install the new version 0.98, since it has some premade built in effect patch bank, that also loads automatically when you start the fx plugin.)

Try to create an audio track in cubase and load a sample into that.
The go to the inserts tab and choose the "KarmaFX Synth FX" plugin.

The simplest effect patch should look like:
Generator1 (Input) -> Output

which does exactly nothing....so change it to something like:
Generator1 (Input) -> Effect1 (Delay) -> Output

to get some action, or just browse the premade patches.

Hope this helps!

ps: Last, The "KarmaFX Synth Core.dll" is not a VST plugin...it is used internally by the synth, so don't tamper with that.
Mario Berlinguer

Hi Kasper and thank you
Try to create an audio track in cubase and load a sample into that.
The go to the inserts tab and choose the "KarmaFX Synth FX" plugin.
this is where I can't get it to work. KarmaFX Synth FX is in the list of the effects, but if I select it I get the "the effect could not be installed" message. I've updated to the newest version, still does it. What am I doing wrong? Could it be that my Cubase (Ver. 5.1) is too old for your plugin?

Also... what I'm trying to do is to use KarmaSynth as an effect for another VST instrument, not a true audio track. Is it possible to do that? (btw, I can't get it to work with a regular .wav audio file either... unless I use the KarmaFX Synth as an instrument, and import the audio file in the Generator/sampler, of course, but that's not what I need to do).

Your synth is really great, I wish I knew how to use it better.

Thank you again

Mario
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

sorry to hear that, Mario.

I don't know if Cubase 5.1 can't cut it to be honest.
But it sounds a bit peculiar....

If anybody else reading the forum know anything about KarmaFX Synth FX in Cubase 5.1 please speak up :?: :!:

It's known to work in Cubase SX 3.

Mario: has the FX worked in previous versions of the synth?
Because I've supported multiple input streams since v.0.96, and that might confuse the host.
Mario Berlinguer

Hello Kasper
If anybody else reading the forum know anything about KarmaFX Synth FX in Cubase 5.1 please speak up :?: :!:
Yes please!
Mario: has the FX worked in previous versions of the synth?
I think it did
Because I've supported multiple input streams since v.0.96, and that might confuse the host.
I don't know if it confuses the host, for sure it confuses me, because I don't know where to find stream 1 or stream 2, or how to direct an audio channel to stream 1 or 2...

Ciao and thanks

Mario
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Which version of cubase are you using exactly?

I visited steinberg...and apparently there's a Cubase VST 32, a Cubase Std and a Cubase Score all with version number 5.1. :roll:
Mario Berlinguer

Which version of cubase are you using exactly?

I visited steinberg...and apparently there's a Cubase VST 32, a Cubase Std and a Cubase Score all with version number 5.1.
I'm using Cubase VST Score 5.1
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Anyone has any idea on where I can download a demo of Cubase 5.1 Score/std or VST?

I tried this:
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Cubase5_win95/

but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.
Mario Berlinguer

This seems to be the same thing, different URL, but you may want to try it:

http://sharewaremusicmachine.com/smm/pr ... se5_win95/

I clicked on download: USA, and the file was there, I didn't try it tho, I was afraid it would mess things with my cubase.

thanks a lot Kasper for trying to help!!!

Mario
Mario Berlinguer

I've also found this:

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase ... 5.1.r1/Pc/

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/ has many folders... but I'm not sure any of the files are demos.

ciao
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Well..I looked there too, but I think these are full versions (that need dongles?)...anyway, the "demo" is what I was looking for, but it doesn't run. I guess it's not a demo after all. :(

If anyone here knows where I might find a legal working demo of Cubase 5.1 please let me know..and I'll test and fix ASAP.

Thanks.