KarmaFX Synth not working in Sonar 7.x (FIXED)

Bug Reporting
karmafx
Site Admin

KarmaFX Synth not working in Sonar 7.x (FIXED)

Post by karmafx »

A friendly user has brought to my attention that there is an issue with the newest member of the Sonar family:
When installing the Karmafx synth into the synth rack via .... insert --->
soft synths it opens up the synth as normal....

But!....

It doesn't respond to any midi input. (settings set correctly by me and verified) (if there are any other vsts installed they also become silent)

on deleting the synth from the synth rack it requires the audio engine to be re started before any other vsts work. Tried this with other vsts installed before and also using Karmafx on its own.

The Sonar 7 doesn't crash at all.

All my other vsts work correctly commercial (ESQL Orchestra GOLDXP) and all my freebie/downloaded ones.

I have a suspicion its a problem with sonar 7.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1187938
It sounds to me like a Sonar issue, and apparently this only happens in the new version of Sonar, so I'm hoping it's a bug in their code.
Still, it is strange that it only happens for KarmaFX Synth, so I would like to investigate...

Does anyone know if there is a demo version on Sonar 7.x out yet?
Last edited by karmafx on 30 Jul 2008 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
audiojunkie

Post by audiojunkie »

"Does anyone know if there is a demo version on Sonar 7.x out yet?"

It is not currently out yet, sorry.

--Sean
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

ok...thanks for the info, Sean. I guess I won't be able to do a fix for it before version 1.0 then.

When I get my hands on a demo, I hope someone can explain how I can trigger the bug (i.e., setting it up so a vst receives midi input) ? I'm not a frequent Sonar user :roll: ...
audiojunkie

Post by audiojunkie »

karmafx wrote:ok...thanks for the info, Sean. I guess I won't be able to do a fix for it before version 1.0 then.

When I get my hands on a demo, I hope someone can explain how I can trigger the bug (i.e., setting it up so a vst receives midi input) ? I'm not a frequent Sonar user :roll: ...
I haven't used Sonar since version 2.22. Sorry. :? Maybe the person that reported the problem to you will be able to help you repeat the problem.

--Sean
cornieleous

Post by cornieleous »

Hi, Same problem here.

There are no special steps needed to cause this bug in S7. Simply using the insert soft synth command or the synth rack view to call up an instance of KarmaFX synth immediately causes the Sonar engine to stop until KarmaFX Synth is removed. There is apparently a workaround of inserting the synth as an effect and manually patching it to a midi track. The only Cakewalk representative to reply thus far has not posted back again with his findings, if any.

I tried a large amount of troubleshooting steps but no luck. For now I am stumped and am using energyXT 1.4 as a subhost to load the synth in Sonar 7. So far, no other plugins or VST I have show similar behavior so I am not sure if the cause is KarmaFX synth or Sonar 7.

Thanks,

D.
JamminFool

Post by JamminFool »

Hi,

The SONAR 7 trial version is now available here:

http://cakewalk.com/Support/kb/kb20061101.asp
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Thank you very much!
I will look into the bug now... (if it is a bug)
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

I finally got around to look at this bug, but so far I havn't been able to trigger it. :?

Maybe I'm not using sonar correctly, but I've tried to open an audio track, and then load the synth by right clicking on the fx square in the left panel and selecting "Soft Synths->KarmaFX (KarmaFX Synth)". The synth pops up and seems to work fine, i.e., no freezes... :shock:

Am I doing it wrong? If so can someone please tell me how to provoke this "bug" consistently ?

Thanks.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Well... I still havn't been able to reproduce this bug, and therefore I have not been able to make a fix yet. :roll:

I'm using KarmaFX Synth Modular 1.00 DEMO inside Sonar 7 Web Trial, and everything seems to work ok. Maybe I'm using it differently ? Or maybe this is only a single-core issue?

I really need your input. Like, on what type of machine this problem arises on?, and what is done *exactly* to be able to reproduce consistently?. :!: :?:

Right now, chances are slim that there will be any kind of fix for this in the upcoming KarmaFX Synth Modular v1.01... :?
auricle

Post by auricle »

Hi,

I really want to use the Modular but I need it to work in Sonar first. I had the same problem.

Try adding it to the synth rack - press ALT + 8 to open the synth rack and then click on the + button and select it from the list. See what happends then :)
auricle

KarmaFX works in energyXT in Sonar 7

Post by auricle »

I've just tried Karma inside energyXT 1.4 loaded inside Sonar 7 synth rack and so far it's playing ball.

If it continues to play okay, I'll be buying it soon ;)
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

ok, thanks for the info, auricle.
I'll try it out soon and report back.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

ok, sorry, but I think I need a crash course in the new Sonar.... :?
I cannot get sound out of any VSTs that I load using that alt-8 trick you mention (including KarmaFX Synth), but it works if I load it in an audio track.

How is this supposed to work? Seems the midi isn't wired to any sound output. Does it work for you with other VSTs ? If yes, can you tell me *exactly* what you do to make it work ?

Thank you.
Karmalogue

Post by Karmalogue »

Hi, I'm a Sonar 7.0.2 user and also have problems to insert Karma the regular way. However, the workaround works flawless and is more or less the same as you would use a folder with the synth output and a midi track bundled together. Here is what you have to do:

- create a Midi and an Audio track
- in the FX tab of the audio track select 'Software Synthesizer' and then Karma
- set the input of the audio track to 'none' and 'echo' to 'on' (important)
- route the midi track output to Karma (available in the output list)

The usual way to insert the softsynth directly via insert menu into the track pane does not work. As soon as you hit 'play' the sound is stuck and also no midi gets through the host to Karma.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

I finally managed to reproduce this bug....and oh man this was nasty to track down, and in the end turned out to be something dumb.

Seems like sonar is allergic to VSTs that allow more that 2 channel (stereo) as input. When I remove this feature, everything runs smoothly.
Before it would just freeze inside sonar, without even running any of my code.

I suspect this is a quirk in sonar, but nevertheless I've now made a workaround fix for this.
The fix simply checks if we're running inside sonar and disables the second input stream, so dual-input sidechaining, etc. is out, but everything else will work.
Will be in next release (and will require a fresh install, again :roll: ).
Argitoth

Post by Argitoth »

dang nabit! *slaps pants* :roll:

:P