BUG: Connecting NotePitch and Frequency module

Bug Reporting
Argitoth

BUG: Connecting NotePitch and Frequency module

Post by Argitoth »

Problem 1: I was trying to create a sine kick in KarmaFX. I like using the Frequency module with the Envelope module so it's easy to modulate the pitch from highest to lowest and fine-tune the attack and decay with the Envelope module. However, since the Frequency Module has no polyphony, the kick pitch can't decay without clicking since I need to trigger the kick faster than it can decay. This would be remedied with a polyphony. Note: I did try to use the declicker, but it didn't help.

Problem 2: I then had a great idea! I could rout the frequency module into the NotePitch module to get a polyphony setting. However, this created a lot of pitch bending buggy behavior.

Solution 1: Get Frequency modulate and NotePitch module to work together correctly.

Solution 2: Get rid of the Frequency module and implement all its abilities into the NotePitch module.

Solution 3: Give Frequency module a polyphony setting.

Solution 4: Take your fist and break something expensive. :wink:

Lol, uhh yeah. What do you think Mr. KarmaFX? (Do you have a real name? :lol: )
Last edited by Argitoth on 26 Jan 2008 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

you can rout multiple controllers together like you tried, just remember to only enable trigger on one of them (e.g. notepitch), since that module will then take care of reaching the right note.

you might also try just modulating the freq directly on the oscillator.
I've made some pretty nice sine kicks that way.

(yes, my name is Kasper :) ...it should be in the faq somewhere, or simply click on "about" in the main menu.)
Argitoth

Post by Argitoth »

karmafx wrote:you can rout multiple controllers together like you tried, just remember to only enable trigger on one of them
I didn't want to enable note trigger on any of them
you might also try just modulating the freq directly on the oscillator.
Dang, why didn't I think of that? :oops:
Argitoth

Post by Argitoth »

Ok, I modulated the oscillator frequency directly in conjunction with a note pitch controller module. It works perfeclty.

However here comes my feature request!: one-shot mode for the Multi-point Envelope module. :)
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

great! :D.....Also (you're propably already aware of this) remember you can increase the range of the oscillators freq knob by right clicking and choosing e.g. 8 octaves.

> one-shot mode for the Multi-point Envelope module

sounds interesting. please explain. :)
Argitoth

Post by Argitoth »

ok, let me build myself a sine kick again and see what's going on...

...ok once again I prove myself wrong. There's no problem here.

However, if you connect the note frequency module to the note pitch module (or vise versa), there is *some* strange behavior you might want to check out. Turn on and off repeatedly the NotePitch module while repeatedly hitting a note, change a pitch setting on the NotePitch module and continue to repeatedly turn it on and off and hitting a note. Note: That there is no problem if you just leave the NotePitch module online. There's only a problem if you continuously turn it on and off. :) However, the bug here is that the initial start of the NotePitch module (when connected to the Frequency module) may have to be corrected by turning it on and off.

To reproduce the 1-shot mode with an ADSR (just FYI) you set the Release and Decay to the same value. That means no matter how long or how short you hold a note, the envelope will be the same length.