Reverb crashes inside Plogue Bidule VSTI in Tracktion 2

Bug Reporting
taji

Reverb crashes inside Plogue Bidule VSTI in Tracktion 2

Post by taji »

Strange one. This one has been reproducable since Plugin Pack 1.1 but I just got around to doing a thorough test sequence.

1. KarmaFX Reverb 2.0b
2. Inside Plogue Bidule VSTI 0.9652 (latest) in Tracktion 2.1.0.11(final version).
3. Crashes Tracktion.
4. Reproduceable? YES:

a. Import audio clip into track in Traction.
b. Load Plogue Bidule VSTI inside Tracktion as a filter.
c. Load KarmaFX Reverb V2.0b inside Bidule and connect inputs/outputs.
d. Sync KarmaFX Reverb to Bidule Plugin sync source.
e. Send audio to Bidule by hitting play button in Tracktion.

Result: Windows XP Send Error Report dialog appears. "Tracktion.exe has encountered an error...".

Some more information:

1. KarmaFX Filter (synced) and KarmaFX EQ seem to work fine running the same test above.
2. Deelay (when synced) will not process audio when running the test. If you unsync and then ReInit inside Bidule, you'll get sound but the moment you re-sync the sound stops again.
3. I've reproduced the above issue in Tracktion 3.0.0.18.
4. Running any KarmaFX product directly inside Tracktion as a filter works fine.
5. Running Reverb/Deelay inside Bidule VSTI inside Bidule Standalone works fine.
6. I've also reproduced the no audio issue with Deelay inside Bidule inside Brainspawn's Forte.

1. A guess would be that the VST syncInfo data is getting corrupted as it passes from Tracktion to PB to Reverb. Let me know if you need any more info.

- Taji,

PS - Love your plugins :lol:
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Thats quite a difficult setup you have there :D , but Thank you very much! I'm going to look into it !
taji

Post by taji »

Great 8).

Thanks.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

By looking at the bug report it sounds like there is some problem with the communication between tracktion and bidule vst. Most likely the bpm info given to the plugs is bad since sync is the only thing that doesn't work.

Now, if that is the case I'm not sure I can make it work, but I would very much like to eliminate the crash. In order to test do you know if there is any demo version of bidule vst available ?
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Think I may have found the bug.
The problem *might* be that I don't test if the given tempo is valid.
I'll investigate it some more...and see if I can reproduce that crash.
taji

Post by taji »

Hey, sorry for the delay in responding. Yes, I think you are near the target.

As for Bidule VST: Go to Plogue's General Bidule Forum, look for the sticky that says: "Latest Version Of Bidule". This has an ftp link to all the different versions. You'll want PlogueBiduleInstaller.exe and PlogueBiduleVst.exe. Download and run. They "should" run in demo mode until october.

As for why I'm running Plogue inside Tracktion: I do a lot of live looping in Forte and a lot of recording in Tracktion. Bidule VSTI loads in both, so it's easy to migrate effects/synth configurations between the two.

I'll be checking back more often. Let me know if you need to me to test anything.
taji

Post by taji »

I figured out a work around for the problem. I believe you are right, that the tempo info is corrupted as it passes from Tracktion to Bidule and then to the KFX plugins. The fix is specific to Bidule as I don't think many hosts have this feature. You can create our own sync sources in Bidule. I created a new sync creator in Bidule and wired it to a sync extractor that is synced to the host sync. Sounds complex (isn't everything complex?) but it took about 2 minutes and works a champ.

Still interested in a fix but no hurry now. I'll keep monitoring the site for any progress.

Thanks again.
:)
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

thanks for the info, taji!
sounds like it's a breeze to fix then. I'll keep you posted once I have a version you can test.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

sorry for the slowness of this reply :roll:

I've made some adjustments in the reverb:

* updated to vst sdk 2.3.
* host tempo is now validated before use.

taji: If you're still reading this, then please try out this preliminary version in your setup and let me know if it still fails.
As I havn't reproduced the error, there is a 50/50 risk it will still fail, but give it a shot and let me know :)
You can find it here: http://karmafx.net/latest/KarmaFX%20Reverb.zip