Shimmering effect possible?

Free talk, link to your music site and whatelse
Corvid

Shimmering effect possible?

Post by Corvid »

Hello!

Purchased this epic synth a couple of weeks ago, was totally hooked within hours, and just HAD to have the manual and the knowledge I'd supported its creator. Amazing to think it was once freeware!

Got a problem that has been really bugging me for a few days now, creating a shimmering effect. "Shimmering" seems to mean a lot of different things to different people, so here's the particular example I was thinking of. Skip to 2:13 unless you particularly like Rammstein!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcgaNlkHYUc

Now, obviously there's singing and drums. Then you have the synth strings, but you also have this shimmering effect which is having the cutoff modulated (possibly controlled by key velocity). That's the bit I'm trying to work out how to do.

Now, I understand that Herr Flake is using an ASR-10 and not an actual synth, but how would one go about creating such an effect in KarmaFX?
MadGonzo

Re: Shimmering effect possible?

Post by MadGonzo »

im thinking flanger / phaser effect? you can also do it with detune (although at cost of sound)
Corvid

Re: Shimmering effect possible?

Post by Corvid »

Thanks, I'll have a play around with those effects and see what I can come up with.

Come to think of it, "sparkling" would describe the desired effect better...