Can KarmaFX run without writing to the registry?

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
audiojunkie

Can KarmaFX run without writing to the registry?

Post by audiojunkie »

Hi Kasper,

I hope all is going well for you! :)

I am playing around with running an audio app from a USB stick with energy-XT. Is it possible to put KarmaFX Synth on the USB stick and run it from there and not have to worry about problems with registry settings, as I move from machine to machine?

Thanks in advance,

--Sean Ercanbrack
karmafx
Site Admin

Re: Can KarmaFX run without writing to the registry?

Post by karmafx »

Hi Sean!

Currently working hard on v1.05 ! :-)

The registry is used for storing the chosen skin, wire type, simplex mode setting, control panel midi cc assignments, etc. , but if you dont mind the default settings I see nothing wrong with having it on a usb.
audiojunkie

Post by audiojunkie »

karmafx wrote:Hi Sean!

Currently working hard on v1.05 ! :-)

The registry is used for storing the chosen skin, wire type, simplex mode setting, control panel midi cc assignments, etc. , but if you dont mind the default settings I see nothing wrong with having it on a usb.
Thanks for the info! :) Would it be difficult to allow registry settings to be stored in an ini file as an option? Total, clean portability would be great!

Thanks!

--Sean
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Not a bad idea! :D
No promises...but I'll see what I can do...
Baz

Post by Baz »

In the worst of the case you can copy the registry of Karmafx on the usb key and double click the reg file when the usb key plugged to the target computer.
audiojunkie

Post by audiojunkie »

karmafx wrote:Not a bad idea! :D
No promises...but I'll see what I can do...
Great! :D Thank you!

--Sean
audiojunkie

Post by audiojunkie »

Baz wrote:In the worst of the case you can copy the registry of Karmafx on the usb key and double click the reg file when the usb key plugged to the target computer.
Possibly, but it's not a clean solution. It would leave registry information behind when done, and that's not really the idea behind how usb key programs should work. The idea is clean portability. Check out the development forums at portableapps.com for more info. :)

--Sean