Portability

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
audiojunkie

Portability

Post by audiojunkie »

Hi again,

I just wanted to pop in and ask if you have any near future plans to make KarmaFX synth portable (so that it can run from a flash drive).

I know I keep pestering you about it. I just hope you will be able to do this.

Thanks in advance,

--Sean
karmafx
Site Admin

Re: Portability

Post by karmafx »

hehe...you do, don't you :wink:

but seriously, I shouldn't be that hard to make. :D
No promises, but I'll try to squeze it in to v1.11.

Just out of curoisity, have you thought about how it should work?
I mean, how should the synth know if it should use the registry or an ini file?
audiojunkie

Post by audiojunkie »

karmafx wrote:hehe...you do, don't you :wink:

but seriously, I shouldn't be that hard to make. :D
No promises, but I'll try to squeze it in to v1.11.

Just out of curoisity, have you thought about how it should work?
I mean, how should the synth know if it should use the registry or an ini file?
THAT WOULD BE WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D

I'm not a programmer, but it would seem to me that instead of having the KarmaFX Synth look in the registry for the locations of folders, files, patches, etc., it could look for a text file (an *.ini file, for example) in the same directory as the program. Do away with using the registry. As long as the ini file is in the same directory as the synth, the synth can know where to look for everything else.

You could make the installer give options on where the different parts of the synth can be stored (custom paths). This way, people, like fellow user, "1-2-Many", who want to install everything, except the main dll that starts the program, outside of the VSTPlugins folder (like in the Program Files folder under its own directory, for example), can. And those who just want to keep default settings so that they can install and play can.

So, in short, I think the best way to do this would be to:

1. Store all configuration, file, folder, & path information in an editable text file (an *.ini file). --in essence, replace what is stored in the registry with a text file that resides within the main app folder (where the main dll is located).

2. Make the installation paths configurable, so that those who want to store everything in a default single compact group of folders & subfolders can, while those who want to move everything but the main application dll (and the ini file) to another location can.

This adds two new useful features to an already great synth.

1. Portability (you can take it and use it anywhere)
2. Those whose host apps get confused with the different dll files for one app, will be able to put the main VST dll in their vstplugins folder, and put the rest in another folder, for example: c:\program files\Karmafx_synth

In addition, it adds a really cool marketing feature--the ONLY FULLY PORTABLE MODULAR SYNTH!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :mrgreen:

A Portable Powerhouse! :D :D :D

--Sean
audiojunkie

Post by audiojunkie »

Here is a link to a thread that discusses more of this:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=628

Thanks again! :D :mrgreen:

--Sean
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Hi Sean !
It's done. 8) Will be in v1.11:

* For portability all configuration options are now stored in an ini file in the synth folder. (Thanks Sean).

However, I've only made the portable part. Not the configurable path that you mention It's a good idea, but I'm saving that for later. Besides all skin dll's will be renamed with this release as well.

Thanks for pushing it! :)
audiojunkie

Post by audiojunkie »

karmafx wrote:Hi Sean !

* For portability all configuration options are now stored in an ini file in the synth folder. (Thanks Sean).

However, I've only made the portable part. Not the configurable path that you mention It's a good idea, but I'm saving that for later. Besides all skin dll's will be renamed with this release as well.

Awesome!!!!!! You are the BEST!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
audiojunkie

Post by audiojunkie »

karmafx wrote:Hi Sean !

Quick question: changing the skin dlls..... is this going to help prevent the hosts from recognizing them? If so, this would be great!

--Sean
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

audiojunkie wrote:
Quick question: changing the skin dlls..... is this going to help prevent the hosts from recognizing them? If so, this would be great!

--Sean
yes :)
audiojunkie

Post by audiojunkie »

karmafx wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:

--Sean
yes :)

Awesome!!! Thanks!!!!! I'm sure 1-2-Many will like this change as well. :-)

--Sean