[RESOLVED] Unable to create feedback loops

Bug Reporting
zenmonkey

[RESOLVED] Unable to create feedback loops

Post by zenmonkey »

Hi, I think I found a bug.

Synth: Karma FX Synth v1.10 (build 7497)
Host: Reaper 32-bit v3.672

When attempting to create a controlled feedback loop:
[Effect1:Delay]->[Amplifier2:Mixer]->[Effect1:Delay]

A warning box pops up asking if I wish to make the connection. if I select [No] the connection is not made. However, if I select [Yes] the connection is still not made. I've tried this with other modules in an attempt to create feedback loops and they all fail int he same way.

I can't save the patch since I'm still using an evaluation version. Here is a screenshot of the simple patch I was trying to create the loop:

Thanks!
zenmonkey

Re: Unable to create feedback loops

Post by zenmonkey »

Yikes! :shock:

I left the [Yes][No] dialog up for a while (probably 2-3 minutes) while filling out the bug report. When I came back to it I clicked [No] and hit a midi note...

I got a huge burst of noise (+58.5db volume spike!!) from my speakers and now the Delay unit reads "Overflow!". Midi notes are no longer processed from Karma FX. Reaper has not crashed.

I loaded another plugin and it is processing MIDI just fine. Changing presets on Karma FX brought it back to making noises again and looking normal. Screenshot attached.

zenmonkey

Post by zenmonkey »

Ok, I think I'm an idiot. :oops: I now see the super tiny- feedback arrow going both ways in the first screenshot. Reaper is making feedback loops (and boy are they gritty!!)

It might be better if the wires were a bit easier to see, I couldn't tell that was a double arrow until I really really looked.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Hi Zenmonkey!
No problem, glad it was cleared up! 8)
Thanks for reporting though!! And you're right, not easy to see!
In next release, feedback loop volumes will be set to 0 on creation by default so things like this can be avoided.
Afterall feedback is dangerous! :D