ADSR release completes - but its not really silent!

Bug Reporting
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

ADSR release completes - but its not really silent!

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

Using say the 303-like 7 preset, i wired the output of the amp module into another amp so i could control it with and adsr ( the 303 like presets and some others are oddly without amp envelopes, or even gated on the amp, and trying to use an adsr on the already existing amp module which is being modulated by a stepsequncer doesnt work, when i release the note a little bit of glitchy noise still comes thru) and that works fine...i now have a 303 like synth with an adsr...

ok so i enable the distortion unit and set its type to hard fuzz...then crank the amount and drive to full - and for some reason - even tho im not playing a note - the sound comes thru...the adsr shows its at 0, and this is even wierder - if i turn the bits knob down below about 70% - it stops playing!

Why does the hard fuzz mode allow sound to come thru despite the fact the adsr is released on 0? If i use the amps inbuilt gate option this doesnt happen....it seems as if the adsrs lowest value (which should be absolute silence) is actually just very quiet....i dunno its so odd....
Last edited by matthewjumpsoffbuildings on 04 Jun 2006 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

yes - i tested it and thats true - even when an adsr is fully released - supposedly silent - i ran it thru an FX channel and just kept adding gain and eventually i could hear the synth loud and clear still coming thru.

this needs addressing ;)
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

I always figured this was deliberate, as Karma's a kind of simulation of an analogue modular synth. Like the way there's enough low-level noise that you can get some to self oscillate by pushing up a filter's resonance.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

ok - fine - but vsts are free of the limitations of the real world - and that is really a limitation - so there probably should be an option to change the way this behaves on the adsr module....

an"analogue" or "digital" little led switch...
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

im curious to know what you think kasper? was this intentional?
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

If amplifiers amp and mod knobs are centered and you modulate the amp knob with a (non inverted) ADSR. Not triggering should result in true silence, and you shouldn't be able to get any sound out nomatter what filter or distortion you apply.

If this happens, it sure sounds like a bug....can you send me the patch ? e.g. as fxp ?
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

Kasper: What does the mod control on the amp module do?
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

ok kasper - ill make one and give it to ya tomoro :)

(this pc doesnt have my audio softs on it :( )
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

ok heres an fxp - notice the adsr - all good - but turn on the distortion unit and you will see that some signal is still getting past the adsr - even tho it should be silent.

http://freefileupload.net/file.php?file ... -synth.fxp
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

any comment kasper?
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

it's due to a numerical precision issue !

if you center the amplifiers mod knob (=64) i doesn't work, but it you feed in a lfo of zero amplitude to the mod knob it does....which makes no sense :-)

I've come up with a simple workaround to avoid it.
Thanks.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

robenestobenz wrote:Kasper: What does the mod control on the amp module do?
It controls the amount of modulation applied to the amp knob.
= it scales the signal routed into AMP.

You can workaround matthews problem by increasing this a tiny bit, but this won't be neccesary in next release.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

good to hear your gonna fix it :D
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

haha thanks for the shoutout on the releaselog :lol: