poly big bug

Bug Reporting
aldonecheeba

poly big bug

Post by aldonecheeba »

hi
the 0.99 is great but it seems that it handles bad multiple notes at the same time

there's something weird, it doesn't play the right notes

say i have 3 notes at the same time, somtimes it plays just one of them, and when a trigger another note, it plays the first one.

just that you know it
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

yes i seem to notice some oddness with poly now too, thought it may have been my poor routing...
flos

Post by flos »

Well... I tried to keep pressed three keys at once and nothing happened (v. 0.99)... maybe it's a matter of host... stupid question... have you set poly to 3? :?
aldonecheeba

to 3

Post by aldonecheeba »

i use it in FL 7

i know working synth, they just obey to what you tell them.

i would only talk about a problem like this one to help to improve it.

if poly is 3, when i press 4 keys on my keyboard, there's a difference, my finger are not perfectly synchronized, so karma fx would discard a note (the first one, replace by the last one, that's the normal behaviour)

actually karmaFx's behaviour is chaotic, because when i press 3 notes in poly 4, it will play one or 2 (chaotic) and when i release and press one key after that it will play 1 or 2 or 3 notes (the notes he didn't play in the first place)

it seems to be a bug
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

I'll test it asap...
btw: which patch are you using?
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

aldonecheeba: I'm not really sure what you state the problem is...:

1) Is it that it kills the "wrong" voice when the number of incoming notes exceeds the chosen polyphonic mode. (I.e., say you use poly 3 and press 4 notes, one note will die to be replaced by the last played note.)

or

2) Is it a general "polyphonic bug", i.e., where polyphonic behavious is simply wrong, playing the wrong keys and/or killing random keys ?

I've just tested poly on a bunch of patches in version 0.99 using Live as host, played using midi keyboard, and I couldn't make it misbehave.

Please try the lead patch 71 called "Sampled Piano" and let me know if this also malfunctions for you in your host. It uses poly 8 by default, but your'e welcome to try different settings... But lets use that for reference, and I will try to understand what the problem is.

Thanks!
aldonecheeba

test with patch 71

Post by aldonecheeba »

hi karmafx

the patch 71 works fine because i think it is a sampler

when i use my patch (link) wich has poly 4, it waits until it has 4 notes to trigger them all at the same time, so while waiting for the 4 notes, it doesn't produce any sound.

i had this issue with 0.97/0.98 too
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

ok...I see what you mean. This is actually not a bug.

The reason the patch behaves like it does is because of the way the notepitch controller works:
It mimics 4 different voices by duplicating all the modules _before_ the controller (4 times) and then mixes and outputs the result.

Now, Because the ADSR is set to modulate the controllers "output", the ADSR will actually run on mono, and not be polyphonic.
If you instead move the ADSR to modulate the "amp" on the Amplifier, it will run in poly mode (4 ADSR's) and you get a working polyphonic patch.
This works, because the Amplifier is placed _before_ the controller, and by definition therefore is operating in polyphonic mode.

I know this is not something I would expect anyone to understand intuitively, and therefore I've also explained this whole polyphonic deal quite extensively in the (soon to be released) manual.

I've made the changes and uploaded the patch here (link).

Let me know if you have any questions (or suggestions)...

Thanks!
aldonecheeba

ok

Post by aldonecheeba »

great, this trully is a releaf

i've been feeling there was something missing for so long... lol
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

i get the feeling my issue was to do with were i was putting the unison module in the signal chain...where should it go?
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

hi matthew....

unison should be placed just after the very first generator(s):
This is a good setup:

Generator->Unison->Amp->Filter->NotePitch->Effect->Output

It will still work with polyphony, but be careful and watch the CPU meter
:-)....It doubles all voices as much as 16 times on modules _before_ the unison module it can be quite heavy on cpu.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

ok thanks for the explanation :)