Bug with MIDI CC assignment (Synth v1 RC4)

Bug Reporting
dj.tuBIG/MaliceX

Bug with MIDI CC assignment (Synth v1 RC4)

Post by dj.tuBIG/MaliceX »

1. KarmaFX Synth v1.00 RC4
2. Cantabile 1.2 Lite
3. There seems to be an issue with MIDI CC assignment. Unless I'm doing something wrong, it seems that I cannot directly assign a MIDI CC manually onto any individual module (ie: the option's there, it just doesn't actually "work" when the controller messages are sent) until one maps one of the master controller knobs to "map to a controller value" which then it will work.

Secondly, clearing the MIDI control from the master knobs does not work. (ie: My modwheel is still being picked up. Course it'll change when I assign a different knob, but the removal of such assignment is not being adhered.)

4. Here's the patch, to save you time.
Download

The modwheel is to be routed to LFO AMOUNT, the intention is to function "vibrato." It works 'now' because it's mapped to the master controls as well as the module. The problem is explained above.
dj.tuBIG/MaliceX

Actually, now that I continue to fiddle around, it seems even doing simple things as that is having issues.

I'm trying to map the Cutoff and Resonance filter to CC71 and CC74. I've already mapped them to the master controllers and the modules itself, but somehow they don't want to talk to each other. (ie: Responding, but not routing the 'signal')

Patch in progress: Download Here

What's up?
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Hey! Thanks for reporting!

Just to clarify...
What you are trying to do is map a control knob (in the control panel) so it responds to a specific knob on your synth, right ? And ultimately tweak a knob in a module, if such a knob is assigned to the control panel as a "control".

To do this you are using the "auto assign..." option in the control panel, right ? Hence, moving the knob physically, should map it to the specific control knob, given that the host transmits MIDI to the vst (not always true unless you specify it).

Does this work or not ? Sorry, it's not clear to me what the issue is.
But I will take a look at your patches now...maybe that will clear things up.

(Also, the knob in a module is assigned to a control by simply right- clicking on it and selecting a control number. Use 1 to 32 to get one that's accessible from the control-panel. But I suspect this works for you, right?)

Thanks again.
dj.tuBIG/MaliceX

Yeah, the problem is, two of them I have mapped aren't "responding" (referring to the newer patch's CUTOFF and RESONANCE) while the other two mapped are (VOLUME, LFO AMOUNT), out of some fluke.

Also, "clearing the MIDI controller assignment" does not work; it doesn't clear it. It still picks up the controller that it was mapped with.

If I'm doing something wrong for the mapping, forgive my stupidity. :shock: But from what I gathered, it was a matter of assigning a controller to a module knob, and mapping the master controller knobs to their corresponding controllers.
dj.tuBIG/MaliceX

OK. I continued some toying around today, it appears you're right, only CC's 1 to 32 will map. Kind of a bit of a hindrance, since it still picks up CC's 33 to 127 on the control panel, but doesn't route the link to the control.

Also, it's still confirmed buggy. I tried removing links and such and mapped the cutoff to my modwheel (CC1) onto the FIRST control panel knob, but it still popped up onto the second so i had to move it to the second knob once again.

Run-down on list of problems:
---MIDI CC control mapping 'works' but functioning is buggy. (When mapping controls that "work," it seems in this case of this patch it maps the control to the wrong place.)
---MIDI CC control mapping does not 'clear' even when you tell it to.
---MIDI CC control mapping will only work with CC range 0 to 32 (HOWEVER it will still 'pick up' the signals from CC33 to 127, it will refuse to route a link to assigned module controls.)
---MIDI Aftertouch unsupported. (not important)
---Please look at how volume is mapped on this patch: I've got CC71 and CC7 at the same time linked to it (crosslinked), I don't believe that 's meant to be possible since I can't even get CC71/CC74 to work with Cutoff/Reso...
---Patch does not save any CC mappings done to the OUTPUT module.

Patch with emphasis on the Filter module, output module and control panel (first three and volume (as well as the last one wit hteh same name)

http://djtbmx.soulbreakers.com/junkpile ... ROBLEM.kfx

EDIT: It seems I've managede to get Cutoff mapped to CC74, although I'm only able to do this when another contorller has it mapped on the control panel, thus making it a bit of a hassle. (ie: Somehow making "Cutoff" appear above the knob before I MAKE it use CC74 by mapping a different controller value first. I won't bother posting the patch since it can be done already, though I'd just like to say.)

Thanks again.
Last edited by dj.tuBIG/MaliceX on 09 Oct 2007 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
dj.tuBIG/MaliceX

OH.

I see how it works now! I think this method is a little bit too confusing, to say the least. First off, if only 32 "CC's" work when right-clicking a value to map to a controller, what are the others supposed to be for? It's a bit confusing when associating MIDI CC numbers with the synth's Control Panel Knob ID. (Seeing there's 32 mappable knobs...) They really should be named a different thing, otherwise it looks a tad too tedious.

1. Right-clicking any module's knob to map a control, the "Control" list is "CONTROL PANEL KNOB ID NUMBER" though the fact it lists 128 (plus none) total selections can be misleading to believe it represents MIDI CC ID; completely different.

If that's the case, the "control" list should be truncated to 32 only, since there's only 32 available; 33-127 don't exist.

2. While the Control Panel knobs seem to work (though having issues with "removing" maps), I think it should be that one can also right-click on those and be able to select from a list the MIDI CC (0-127+none) or at least be able to change its CC map value via a popup-box or something.

Yeah.. I see now. Anyway, MIDI CC map removal needs to be fixed basically, and the control list needs to be decreased or at least indicate it's NOT the same as MIDI CC numbers, but control panel knob ID's.

Thanks.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

oh, ok...I understand the confusion. :oops:

Yes, the control id are not MIDI CC's...but map to the different control panel knobs.

Actually there is a reason for having more than 32: You can access up to 128 parameters from within the host. This means you can (host) automate up to 128 different knobs simultaneously.

The only special thing about the first 32 is that they can be tweaked directly inside the synth, using the control panel.

I'll try to explain this thoroughly in the manual.
If you have an idea for a different naming convention, let me know.

Thanks!
dj.tuBIG/MaliceX

"Map to Automation" or something. I think maybe ask a bunch of people elsewhere.

Anyway, that's cleared up. Haha, though yeah, MIDI CC clear isn't working. (clears the hex code that's shown' but not the actual "link" that allows it to passthru)

Thanks.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

:shock: I'll look into it
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

you are right! and it is fixed now. Will be in next release.
Thanks!
dj.tuBIG/MaliceX

Also there is one more, I'm not sure if it'd be classified as a 'bug' though.

When switching between patches, and back with the GUI closed, the MIDI CC mappings are not picked up until GUI is opened.

Just wondering. ;)
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

you're right ! :shock:

Fixed. Will be in next release.

feels good crunching those bugs. keep up the great work, dj.tuBIG!/MaliceX ! :D