BUG? Karma crashing Reaper

Bug Reporting
pedx1ng

BUG? Karma crashing Reaper

Post by pedx1ng »

Ok, this one is going to be tough to pin-point because it is intermittent. I'm not sure if it's a problem with KarmaFX or my host, Reaper.

I was working in one of my projects and started auditioning presets to see if something would fit. I was going through the Leads bank, patch by patch. I discovered some of the presets didn't play (the Show Off ones I think), and then I got to Cubasis and it just totally crashed Reaper. I haven't had any issues with Reaper crashing before, but versions get released fairly frequently so maybe something broke.

But the thing is, if I start with a clean project and try loading that same patch, it doesn't crash. And it's somewhat intermittent. Most of the time in that particular project of mine it will crash Reaper, but not always.

I don't know if this will help, I copied it from the crash dialog:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: reaper.exe
Application Version: 2.3.0.1
Application Timestamp: 48462e31
Fault Module Name: KarmaFX Synth Core.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4849a8b8
Exception Code: 80000003
Exception Offset: 000661a3
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

A non-expiring, fully functional demo of Reaper is available from:
http://reaper.fm/download.php

Only thing is, I don't know how you can reproduce it without my exact project, and I use other plug-ins in it, including another commercial one. I tried trimming the project down to where it was just Karma that was used, but then the crash problem becomes a lot more intermittent and difficult to reproduce. In the problem project I have 3 instances of KarmaFX going, and it was with the 4th that I had the crash problem. Yet in another project I have 5 instances going, and I just tested adding a 6th and loading that patch Cubasis and it didn't crash. So it seems it's not to do with the amount of instances.

:?
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

as the error message says it is a crash in the synth, and not in reaper....so sounds like a bug :oops:

if possible please send me the stripped version of your project and I'll try to load it up in Reaper and do what you do to make it crash!
pedx1ng

Post by pedx1ng »

karmafx wrote:as the error message says it is a crash in the synth, and not in reaper....so sounds like a bug :oops:

if possible please send me the stripped version of your project and I'll try to load it up in Reaper and do what you do to make it crash!
I just can't get the stripped down version to crash it reliably. Actually I think I only got the stripped version to crash once, and it may have had to do with the fact that I had just switched from the 'big' project. I'm not sure what to do from here because the big project isn't going to work for you, as I use a few different 3rd party plugs, one of which isn't free. :(

I am going to try a couple things to see if I can pinpoint it, but I'm not hopeful. :cry:
pedx1ng

Post by pedx1ng »

Ok, I'm going to package this up and email it to you, along with notes on how I get it to crash. Thanks for looking into this.
pedx1ng

Post by pedx1ng »

Ok, I emailed the project to feedback@karmafx.net along with what I hope are sufficient instructions. Good luck.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Thank you so much for the project and the very detailed description of how to reproduce!
I followed the steps and got the crash, so yes the bug is very much valid ! :oops:
Looking into whats causing it now, but expect a fix in v1.03.
pedx1ng

Post by pedx1ng »

Thanks so much. Fantastic support as always!
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Found and resolved the problem. Thanks.

Fix will be in v1.03: Bugfix: Rounding error in Parametric filter could cause crash. Fixed.
audiojunkie

Post by audiojunkie »

karmafx wrote:Found and resolved the problem. Thanks.

Fix will be in v1.03: Bugfix: Rounding error in Parametric filter could cause crash. Fixed.
Wow! :shock: That's so impressive how you were able to track that thing down so fast!!!!!

Good Job!!! :D

--Sean
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Well... I take bugs very seriously, but it can't really be considered fixed until the version is released (v1.03). I plan however to release it soon! Hopefully as a simple web upgrade this time.