Note Pitch/Step Modulator questions

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Note Pitch/Step Modulator questions

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

First of all - while i know how to use the notepitch controller, im not sure why it works the way it does. and whats the best signal path for a standard analogue setup: generator -> notepitch -> amp -> filter or generator -> amp -> notepitch -> filter seems to be used in a lot of demo patches?

in my limited knowled it seems much more logical to have the midi-note translating module at the start of the signal chain - most signal paths in synths goes midi-in -> midi interpreter that converts the midi data into values synth can use (ie a notepitch controlle) -> oscs -> amp -> filters right?

Also - while we can use the step modulator to make semi-tb303 stuff, we can only really use it to modulate the volume/pitch etc, not actually to trigger the attack phase of notes - it doesnt act like a midi sequencer - its more like a highly editable LFO....it would be nice to have a module like the step module, but that didnt just output a CV, rather actual note-on/off data+pitch or something...
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Your'e right!, and I'm on it matthew!

A Trigger module propably wont make it into the upcomming version 0.95, but definetly next version, incl. simple arpeggiator features.

About the notepitch, a general setup is:

Generator->Filter->Amplifier->Controller(Notepitch)->Effect.

ie. last in signal chain but before effects.
I've made a big effort to explain this in the manual, since it
kind of hides the keyboard control signal.
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

Matt:
karmafx once said wrote:The first thing you have to be aware of is that modules before the controller are polyphonic, while modules after are monophonic.
So things affected by envelopes, for example, you will in most cases want before the notepitch controller (so each voice gets its own ADSR or cutoff modulation etc. and is distinguishable from the others). FX are something that you usually want equally applied to all voices, and so go after the notepitch (saving a lot of CPU too).

Like in Kasper's example above, the filter and amp are before the notepitch - the two most common modulations of cutoff and amplitude wouldm be per-voice.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

ok thanks for explaining.

how does the notepitch controller work? does it send data backwards up the signal chain?
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

yes! :D
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

ok thanks 8) it makes much more sense now :D

so if the notepitch send data backwards up the signal chain, where would you plug a step sequencer module into? you coulndt just plug into into the pitch knob ....