Still getting that annoyng message!

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
flos

Still getting that annoyng message!

Post by flos »

It seemed fixed butt it returned: no more of 8 modulator instances are allowed! :x
dj.tuBIG/MaliceX

Post by dj.tuBIG/MaliceX »

There appears to be a set maximum of 8 clones of anything. And for a good reason.

Of course, modulators shouldn't be too much of an issue compared to Generators and Effects, which 8 should be the limit anyway IMHO.

Then again, it depends on how one prefers to work with, though working with effects, unison and PAD generators already clog my CPU, using 8 OSC's (on my Rudess Lead KFX patch anyway) still works fine though any more (unison particularly) will probably mean suicide. (running on a fairly old PC here: 1.7GHz Sempron on 1GB DDR400 RAM)

Perhaps a limit to suggest a Lo-Fi mode for older computers and allow these complexities while sacrificing quality to retain stability or something... :P
flos

Post by flos »

I remember that Kasper fixed this some releases ago, but I don't know if he decided to reintroduce the limit for the sake of efficiency. Anyway I think that this is a limit if you want to make something huge. :?
Probably setting this parameter in the options could be useful, so you can customize the max. complexity of the patches loadable by your system.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

yes, there is a limit of 8 instances of each module type.
e.g. max 8 generators, 8 filter, 8 modulators, etc....

flos: what are you trying to do that needs >8 modulators?

you can change the amplification or even invert modulators using the wire arrows. This can sometimes be helpful in order to re-use the same modulator for different modulation tasks.

I might consider increasing the limit to say 16, when I increase the workspace window size in future versions.
flos

Post by flos »

Well I wasn't referring to anything of particular, I know that 8 mod. are suffices but when you are designing a new patch you make lots of changes experiments etc. Then you think how to make an optimal setup. I was referring to the first phase when you are not thinking if you have two lfos with similar parameters that you can replace with only one unit, but when you are creating and you need a new lfo simply because you need one. If you see that nag screen then you have to switch to phase two and inspiration flows away... Anyway 8 mod. means that you can use 2 envelopes (1 for the filter, 1 for the amp) and then you have "only" 4-5 (because it's probably that I will use one-two env. to control the lfos) to use. Say that you use two lfos for PWM (1 with high rate the other with low rate), one for the filters, one for the panning... Probably, at this point, you will reuse the modules you have for vibrato and tremolo. But if I want to add randomization connecting a new lfo with random wave to any other module, I can't do that (say that the other lfos have standard waves). Nag Screen.
If I want to add a step sequencer? Nag Screen.
I think you should raise the limit for the number of modulators at least to 10 IMHO.
Probably your CPU will cry, but your ego will be satisfied! :lol:
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

hehe....point taken. I'll try to increase the limit at some point after version 1.0 final. :D

right now I'm trying to figure out why RC5 is slower than RC4, and release an RC6 ASAP.

btw, flos: don't forget to read your PM :wink: