FR: Allow more modules of a type.

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
Argitoth

FR: Allow more modules of a type.

Post by Argitoth »

I strongly feel that 8 modules of one type just isn't enough and it should be extended to at least doubt that, to 16. After you have LFOs controlling delays and choruses, you use up most of your modulation availability. If you want multi-point envelopes and other modulation going on, you'll hit the limit of 8 very quickly. I was hoping I could go crazy and do crazy things with wires going every which way with an unneeded amount of LFOs, so please extend the limit for my crazy sake!

:P
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

yes, thanks for the FR... :D
This is of course possible - but I'll have look into the implications for adding more modules... (both sound engine- and gui-wise)
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Re: FR: Allow more modules of a type.

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

it would be nice if the number of modules (of the same or different types) was only limited by your CPU instead of arbitrarily limiting the amount of each type of module - how hard would it be to rework the engine to allow that?
MadGonzo

Post by MadGonzo »

matthewjumpsoffbuildings wrote:it would be nice if the number of modules (of the same or different types) was only limited by your CPU instead of arbitrarily limiting the amount of each type of module - how hard would it be to rework the engine to allow that?
probably more of an allocation thing, but most likely really easy to do
cpu might increase exponentially per module though
personally i think you won't always need a heapload of modules to make the best sounds, instead adding midi automations is probably better
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

matthewjumpsoffbuildings wrote:- how hard would it be to rework the engine to allow that?
not that hard I guess. :roll:
The hardest issue is propably GUI related (the text will not fit with larger numbers than 9) and performance as MadG pointed out. A few more version into the future and I will consider it...
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

will there be an unavoidable performance hit? or will the hit only occur per module (if thats the case its not really an issue, since if you can already add 8 of a module and ur CPU doesnt die, why not allow for 9)

as for the gui issue, i dont think thats a major problem/reason not to do this at all... the module names arent that important, you could either abbreviate things (dist1, mod1, filt1, fx1), or even just have the full name appear in a 'tooltip' on hover if a module name is too long...

however its done, it would be good to have it :)
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

I agree. 8)
dj.tuBIG/MaliceX

Post by dj.tuBIG/MaliceX »

+1 for more than 8 instances of a module. Lots of LFOs could mean a really complicated FM chain possibility! (hahaha)

Please!