FR - save current patch to new bank

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
JamminFool

FR - save current patch to new bank

Post by JamminFool »

if i use a patch from one bank as a starting point for a new patch, is there an easy way to save it to a different bank than the current one?

upon loading a new bank, the first patch from the new bank is loaded and i lose my edits.

i think i can save it to an .fxp (in hosts that support it) and then change banks, load the saved .fxp and then finally save it to the KarmaFX bank,
but this seems rather tedious.

is this the recommended procedure?
thanks.
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

How weird. The patch stays the same when switching between banks for me (0.90B in EXT 1.4 beta + Live 5.01).

Presets need to be saved in the Karma format I think, so the fxp method likely won't work. Try creating an empty folder in Karma's patch folder, and then start up KarmaFX, create or load a patch and switch to the new bank.. you should be able to then save the patch to a slot in this new bank.

If this doesn't work, and it keeps loading the first patch of a bank every time you switch you'll have to use an even more cumbersome workaround for the time being... Creating a new patches subfolder, creating a blank index.txt and manually copying the patch files over and adding them to the index.
JamminFool

Post by JamminFool »

thanks for correcting me.

you are right. it works fine in eXT (my usual host for these kinds of experiments).

the problem i described was in MiniHost, which i had set up to run KarmaFX in 'stand-alone' mode. it does, in fact, load the first patch of a new bank, thus overwriting the current patch...

however, i'm not sure whether this is actually incorrect on MiniHost's part either since bank changes in KarmaFX are done via the patch list drop-down in the host (meaning KarmaFX lists banks where most VSTi's list patches) so MiniHost may be a victim of a non-convention (?)...

what do you guys think?

nevertheless, sorry for not checking this out more thoroughly. i appreciate your help and thoughts.
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

Interesting. I'll give it another try in VSThost (similar thing to minihost I think) after I've undergone the restart it's crashing and stuck sound has forced me to do.

Is minihost nice and stable? I get a lot of problems with VSThost, you see.
JamminFool

Post by JamminFool »

the latest version is 1.64 and it has been pretty stable for me.
it works great for making your synths stand-alone...(except for the little gotcha i'm descrbing here :( ).