ADSR - bug? or me stoopid?

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

ADSR - bug? or me stoopid?

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

I am getting this irritating effect when i use an ADSR to controll an amp...if i have a really slow attack, and a really slow release, if i hold a note for ages so it fades in, then let go and hit the note again, the adsr doesnt fade in from silent, it just starts from wherever the release phase left it...how can i get it so that my notes ALL have slow attacks, and long releases, not matter how fast i press them.

is it a poly issue? i have my note-pitch controller in mono mode...is that the prob?
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

I was not quite sure in which way to handle this situation when I wrote the code, but decided the way it works now since it avoids clicks in the sound, and (as you point out) can get around it by using polyphonic mode.
I this works differently in other synths in mono, please let me know.
Perhaps, I could make it in an option in the ADSR.

- KarmaFX
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

yea a few other mono syths i use (ill have to find which ones) have a smooth attack no matter what the release length is. If you could make that possible it would be very handy.
BKTormey

Post by BKTormey »

Another ADSR observation when modifying an Amplifier. In 0.92b, the A, D, and S stages modify the amplitude as expected, but the R stage does not. The amplitude falls to zero immediately as the key is released regardless of the Release time.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

thats to do with the clk mode - it kills release so that attack can start from 0 again - my other thread on ADSR goes into this - theres definately a problem with the ADRSs thats for sure...they need sorting.
BKTormey

Post by BKTormey »

Thanks mjob.

I avoided the more recent ADSR thread becasue I wanted to stay away from "the per" voice thing. Visually, the ADSR appears to be behaving correctly, and the Release modifies other destinations, such as the cutoff on a filter, just fine.

Karma FX Synth is the best sounding VSTi on my PC, but I can't really use it until the Release problem gets fixed.
BKTormey

Post by BKTormey »

I found the little "gate" switch thing on the Amplifier module, deactivated it, and all is well (so far). I'm happy.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

oh sorry - yea thats right u need to turn off the amps automatic gate option that is basically just note on/off so the adsr can work....

but then when u use the adsr it doesnt work like it should....
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

BKTormey wrote:I avoided the more recent ADSR thread becasue I wanted to stay away from "the per" voice thing. Visually, the ADSR appears to be behaving correctly, and the Release modifies other destinations, such as the cutoff on a filter, just fine.
How come?

It's just I'm so used to this behaviour from pretty much every synth I've used, and it avoids any sudden jumps in volume (as well as adding distinction and depth between the notes held).
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

what are you sayin robe? that the adsr attack and release are ok?
BKTormey

Post by BKTormey »

robenestobenz wrote: How come?
No big deal. I use Karma for monphonic leads, so I didn't want to hijack the ADSR polyphonic issue, which has its own merit. I'll just agree with MJOB that the ADSR module needs some attention and keep that little gate switch off in the meantime.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

the little gate is there for a reason - if you make an amp and dont add an adsr, the sound will go non-stop - the little gate button is just like saying "attack 0, sustain 127, release 0".

now that you know - if you want to use ADSRs turn off the amps gate ;)
BKTormey

Post by BKTormey »

yessir!
I need to unlearn what little I know about Reaktor to make progress in KarmaFX. There are lots of ways of controlling amplitude in Reaktor, including EG's and Gate modules. The latter passes in velocity info. I'll save my confusion for another thread!
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

basically in karma you can control the anything with the input of anything else (and i mean anything)....if you want to control the amp of an amp module with the output of a osc>notepitch>amp>filter>chorus chain - you can!

you can use step sequencers, adsrs, lfos, hfos, and more, to control the amp of your amplifier module....
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

matthewjumpsoffbuildings wrote:what are you sayin robe? that the adsr attack and release are ok?
I can see how I might have sounded unclear.

I read his post as that he liked the way ADSR for multiple voices is handled at the moment, and wondered why as it's an unusual behaviour.