Control Panel Knobs - Request!

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Control Panel Knobs - Request!

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

I know your hot of releasing the near-perfect 0.91, but i got one little request...The control panel with its assignable knobs is awesome. But if i assign it to say, 3 different knobs, the name changes to like ATTACK+, and then if i tweak one of the child knobs, all other knobs are affected...now while this is good in some situations, it would be good to have two control methods - absolute (the current one), or relative (so i can tweak child knobs without affecting parent and siblings...but then when i turn the parent knob, all the children turn + or - from their current positions, obviously limited by the maxvalue)

Will i ever be satisfied :roll:

:wink:
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Hi Matthew!

Let me first say that I initially liked the idea ! But I've been thinking...

I think this feature will quickly get confusing without disabling parent knob updates when child knobs are tweaked, since they actually control the "center" setting for the parent knob, i.e., the parent knob only offsets from the selected child value.

The control panel is meant as an aid the user quickly tweak
selected knobs without geting confused by the modules.
This feature would undermine the control panel, don't you think ? :?:

Anyway, I'll think about it some more....
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

karmafx wrote:Hi Matthew!

Let me first say that I initially liked the idea ! But I've been thinking...

I think this feature will quickly get confusing without disabling parent knob updates when child knobs are tweaked, since they actually control the "center" setting for the parent knob, i.e., the parent knob only offsets from the selected child value.

The control panel is meant as an aid the user quickly tweak
selected knobs without geting confused by the modules.
This feature would undermine the control panel, don't you think ? :?:

Anyway, I'll think about it some more....
I must say, I like this idea a lot as well. I think it would be great for those who mainly use presets - if the patch creator sets everything up nicely, and assigns good parameters, a user without much experience in synthesis would be able to do some powerful sound tweaking with only a few knobs.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

i just think, you know how when you route an LFO to control a knob, you have two mod modes on the right click menu of the knob, well you should have 2 mod modes in the section about the control panel knobs also...

by default make it absolute mod mode, but if the user knows what he is doing, he can right click on any knob controlled by the main panel and select the relative mod mode...so that knob will not tweak its siblings and will move from its current position when the control panel knob is tweaked...i dont really think it would be confusing at all! :D