Some first thoughts..

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
gmixer

Some first thoughts..

Post by gmixer »

These are probably features that you already have on your to do list but:

1. logical/math functions for treating control sources, like taking two modulator outputs as the inputs to a function then producing a third modulator as the output. x*y, x+y, x or y, etc. This kind of modulation is very useful and fun, based upon my experience with synths like the Kurzweil K2000 and the nord micro-modular. Here is a link the the Kurweil manualsm which are very comprehensive and explain their modulation system very well.

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/sup ... ml?Id=1644

2. Indication of clipping inside modules. Some indication of when a module output is clipping (if it can clip! I don't know much about the maths involved) would be great for optimising headroom.

3. A reset click option for controls (control click or something). Maybe this just doesn't work in my host (Pro Tools via the VST to RTAS adapter)

Once again.. Awesome synth!
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

Out of curiosity, do you find the polyphony in KarmaFX a bit strange? It always seems to work to me like envelopes/ADSR etc, only retrigger when you play the amount of notes polyphony is set to.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

yes i know...if its a mono the adsr doesnt work properly at all...if you ahve a long attack and release, only the first time you trigger the note works properly...
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Hey gmixer!

1) I'm planning on adding ring modulation soon (x*y), so the maybe it would be cool to add those other modes there as well. Thanks for the idea.

2) Clipping does not take place in the modules (except of course for the distortion module and (optionally) the output module).

3) Not really sure what you mean? You can currently right click on knobs/slider and "reset" to default, but maybe thats not what your'e after ???
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

robenestobenz:
you might be right about the polyphony, does this still hold for version 0.91 ?

btw: You may want to try using the new "click" option on the adsr, as this forces a reset on key trigger.
gmixer

Post by gmixer »

Oops, sorry it took me so long to reply, (I'll put on notify this time....)

KarmaFX

By modulation, I was talking about audio signal functions, rather
control signals (like CV on an analog synth). Ring mod would be cool
of course, but what I was getting at was for controlling filter cut-off
, resonance etc.. A way to mix/add/compare/subtract controll signals.

Hope that makes sense..
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Thanks gmixer.

As you propably know controls signals are added (mixed) by default when routed to the same knob/slider.

but i'm currently considering doing a sort of "combiner" module (not sure about the name yet) that takes two signals and does operations on them.
ring mod, add, subtract, bit manipolation, threshold gating, etc.
Bet it could be useful for both sound and control signals.

- KarmaFX
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

my god that sounds awesome!!! i cant wait!
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

karmafx wrote:Thanks gmixer.

As you propably know controls signals are added (mixed) by default when routed to the same knob/slider.

but i'm currently considering doing a sort of "combiner" module (not sure about the name yet) that takes two signals and does operations on them.

- KarmaFX
Sounds really interesting.
BKTormey

Post by BKTormey »

karmafx wrote:...
- KarmaFX
Hi Kasper.

I'm wondering if KarmaFX Synth has/will have some kind of router/splitter/mixer/pan-like module. For example, if I want 70% of OSC 1 to get routed to FILTER 1 and 30% to FILTER 2, and likewise 70% of OSC 2 to get routed to FILTER 2 and 30% to FILTER 1, and then apply an LFO to move and cross the signals across the two filters, is such a thing possible or will it be possible in the future? Thanks. Absolutely love this synth!
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

BKTormey wrote:
karmafx wrote:...
- KarmaFX
Hi Kasper.

I'm wondering if KarmaFX Synth has/will have some kind of router/splitter/mixer/pan-like module. For example, if I want 70% of OSC 1 to get routed to FILTER 1 and 30% to FILTER 2, and likewise 70% of OSC 2 to get routed to FILTER 2 and 30% to FILTER 1, and then apply an LFO to move and cross the signals across the two filters, is such a thing possible or will it be possible in the future? Thanks. Absolutely love this synth!
It's not all that pretty, but you could do it at the moment. Each OSC would need to have two lines to two amps, with each amp connected to one filter, and then you'd just need to set up modulation for the output slider of each amp.
djsynchro

Post by djsynchro »

What kind of bit manipulation where you thinking of? :D
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Yeah, what kind ? :?:

(I'm guessing xor, or, and or something like that, but not sure)....

- KarmaFX