Loading non-existent patches (resolved)

Bug Reporting
Argitoth

Loading non-existent patches (resolved)

Post by Argitoth »

1: KarmaFX Synth 1.0
2: Cubase Studio 4
3: Trying to load patches in KarmaFX that you have deleted from the Patches folder (but showing up in KarmaFX due to the index.txt inconsistency) causes Cubase to stop functioning.
4: Reproducible
Last edited by Argitoth on 01 Feb 2008 02:52, edited 1 time in total.
sync

Post by sync »

well its rather a user inflicted bahaviour. why do you delete patches from a folder (externaly) for an active program - its somewhat as is/as expected.
Argitoth

Post by Argitoth »

sync wrote:well its rather a user inflicted bahaviour. why do you delete patches from a folder (externaly) for an active program - its somewhat as is/as expected.
User inflicted, but still a crash which can ruin an entire project if you haven't recently pressed the save button in your host. I think KarmaFX just needs an algorithm so it doesn't crash when you try to load nonexistent patches. I bet it'd be easy to add.

Oh yes, and KarmaFX does not have to be active as you claim. This is because of the index.txt system that KarmaFX uses which I really like, by the way.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

I don't see a reason why it should crash in this case, so I would like to make it clear that this is something that I think should be fixed.

But that said, generally, manually editing the index and the files in the banks is not something I recommend that you do. What is it you want to achieve ? I agree that it is currently not possible to delete patches from within the synth. But you can, e.g., create a new bank and copy existing patches from other banks into this bank, all from inside the synth!

If you don't know what you are doing, manual disk editing might leave you with a bank where the patch files and the index file are out of sync, potentially causing all kinds of weird problems! However, if you know what you're doing, hacking the files and index isn't hard at all, and was of course made this simple for the exact same reason. But if you break the synth this way, it does not really classify as a bug. However, as said, crashes should always be avoided, so I will investigate.
Argitoth

Post by Argitoth »

Editing the patches outside the synth makes organizing your bank very easy, especially with the dividers feature. If I make a mistake and cause a crash I'm not going to complain, but any crash that can be avoided is one more point in all-round stability of a synth.

I'm still getting unexplained crashes from KarmaFX but I haven't been able to reproduce them. Actually, recently I had KarmaFX crash a few times in a row for the same reason, but suddenly it stopped crashing. I didn't know what to report.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Argitoth wrote:...but any crash that can be avoided is one more point in all-round stability of a synth.
I agree.
Argitoth wrote:I'm still getting unexplained crashes from KarmaFX but I haven't been able to reproduce them. Actually, recently I had KarmaFX crash a few times in a row for the same reason, but suddenly it stopped crashing. I didn't know what to report.
hmm.. does not sound good.
Please let me know which patch you were using/editing and in what host (if different from "Cubase Studio 4").
Thanks.
Argitoth

Post by Argitoth »

Here's the information in question:

viewtopic.php?p=1505#1505
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Thanks! looking into it...

I've made a fix for the crash when loading non-existing patch now.
Will be in next release.