Props To KarmaFX!

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
Nod

Props To KarmaFX!

Post by Nod »

Hi KarmaFX,

Just registered and wanted to say thanks for your efforts - not only have they proved musically interesting but, in particular the modular, has proved highly educational too! I've played around with so many VSTi's but have never really found anything synthesis wise that was this easily approachable - especially in a modular format. It's one of the few synths I've seen that actively encourages the user to experiment & delve beyond simple presets.

I'm working on a bank of 8 osc patches at the moment and will upload them here asap - already got some monster sounds. :twisted:

Obviously no pressure or deadlines on yourself but do you have any ideas & plans for future modules/extended functionality? Will there be more than 8 instances of oscillators and modulators for example?

Thanks again for all your hard work :D
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Hey Nod ! Glad you like the Synth ! :D

I'm currently working on some new generators, one of which is a dual-oscillator (with optional hard sync), which essentially will give you up to 16 oscillators.

I really don't have any plans to allow more than 8 instances at the moment, mostly because I think it will clutter the interface too much ... but I'll think about it.

Looking forward to try out your patches !

- KarmaFX
Nod

Post by Nod »

Cool - 16 oscillators should be amazing given how good 8 sound! The reason I'd like more modulators is that with a lot of modern controllers it's very easy to have a lot of modulations mapped for real time control and performance. For example on my battered AN1x I've generally got it's 8 knobs mapped to a main ADSR, filter cutoff/res and a couple of misc functions. Sure maybe I don't need all this real time control but this then leaves me no further mods for other LFO's or ADSR's for example.

Like I said I'll try and get some patches up asap and I'm looking forward to seeing what some of the synth gurus, like the folks at KvR, come up with for your amazing synth.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Hello again !

when you say "modulators" I assume you really mean
what is called "controllers" in KarmaFX Synth lingo ?!
(please correct me if I'm wrong :oops: ). ?

automation controllers are those knobs you can tweak (and record) from outside the synth, i.e., in the host and through midi.

There can only be up to 8 controllers in the released version of the synth.
In the version I've got running here at home now I've increased it to 32.
I can increase it even further (to like 128) if needed, but I'm just afraid that it will clutter the interface too much.
Anyway...this will be in the next beta release.

- KarmaFX
Nod

Post by Nod »

[quote="karmafx"Hello again ! when you say "modulators" I assume you really mean what is called "controllers" in KarmaFX Synth lingo ?! (please correct me if I'm wrong :oops: ). ? automation controllers are those knobs you can tweak (and record) from outside the synth, i.e., in the host and through midi. There can only be up to 8 controllers in the released version of the synth. In the version I've got running here at home now I've increased it to 32. I can increase it even further (to like 128) if needed, but I'm just afraid that it will clutter the interface too much. Anyway...this will be in the next beta release. - KarmaFX[/quote]

Hi again Karma - sorry for the delay in getting back to you - fraid my PC blew up! The increase to 32 will be more than welcome in terms of realtime control - along with all the other new additions you've made this is really shaping up to be a truly monster synth. Just downloaded 0.88b and looking forward to trying it out - hope the patches I was building still work!
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Hi Nod,

Great !

Yes, your patches will still work...just remember to
make a backup of you patch banks first, i.e.:
1) copy them to another directory
2) install the new version
3) rename "bank1" to "nodbank1" and copy it back into the KarmaFX_Synth directory.

Sorry bout this, but then it should work.

Also I should propably mention that because the ADSR envelope range has been changed you need to readjust all your "mod" knobs to about half of what they were in the old version. Also the LFO rate knob behaves differently. It should be easy to fix in the new version when you are aware of these changes. :wink:

- KarmaFX
Nod

Post by Nod »

Hi again Karma - cheers for the heads up on the ADSR env & LFO changes. Managed to get my patches transferred over and, with a few tweaks, get them sounding as good as if not better than before with the new Osc2.

Cheers for the new patches in 0.88 btw - some cool sounds in there. Gave my friend, who's a hardware nut and not a fan of VSTi's, a little demo of your excellent synth and he was blown away :)