FR - ring modulator and sample-and-hold

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

FR - ring modulator and sample-and-hold

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

newbiesarecute on kvr mentioned he would like a ring modulator and sample-and-hold module - and i think i would too.

but then again - seeing as i have no idea what the internal structure of either a ring modulator or a sample-and-hold is - can u make them already in karma synth?
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

Sample and Hold is already in in the form of the random LFO waveform (that's all S&H is).

A ring modulator module would be quite cool, though I've never managed to get very useful results with a lot of melodic material I've tried with them. When using with guitar it always seemed like the signal lost its tonality, making the results very unpredictable. I can imagine it being useful in KarmaFX though.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

thanks - i have no idea what sampleandhold is - could you explain it in a little more detail - the purpose of it - and how i would use it in karma?
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

matthewjumpsoffbuildings wrote:thanks - i have no idea what sampleandhold is - could you explain it in a little more detail - the purpose of it - and how i would use it in karma?
It's a random signal, at least in the context of VST plugins.

From the Crystal manual, with a possible usage:

Random square shape LFO

What is is:
Sometimes called sample and hold, this is an LFO which jumps to a random level, stays there for a random amount of time, then jumps to another level. The SaturnScape preset uses this to vary the FM index of voice 1 in interesting ways. To get this type of LFO, choose "Square" for the LFO type and turn up the RandRate and RandMix controls. RandRate controls the randomness of the times between jumps. RandMix controls the randomness of the levels
berksky

Post by berksky »

Not exactly correct in the context of a modular. See:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug00/a ... nthsec.htm

Sample & hold is a module that "samples" an input voltage at regular intervals (usually triggereed by another clock input). Between one sample point and the next, the output voltage is kept constant and is proportional to the input. If the input is pseudo-random, such as a noise source, the output is a pseudo random step pattern. If the input is something like a triangle wave, with a frequency lower than the clock frequency, the output can be a stair-stepping pattern.
As far as I know, KarmaFX has a random-LFO (it's a mode of the LFO). A sample & hold would still be very useful to have, specially together with a slew generator (see the same article above, at the end "Slewing the output"

-Berk
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

berksky wrote:Not exactly correct in the context of a modular. See:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug00/a ... nthsec.htm

Sample & hold is a module that "samples" an input voltage at regular intervals (usually triggereed by another clock input). Between one sample point and the next, the output voltage is kept constant and is proportional to the input. If the input is pseudo-random, such as a noise source, the output is a pseudo random step pattern. If the input is something like a triangle wave, with a frequency lower than the clock frequency, the output can be a stair-stepping pattern.
As far as I know, KarmaFX has a random-LFO (it's a mode of the LFO). A sample & hold would still be very useful to have, specially together with a slew generator (see the same article above, at the end "Slewing the output"

-Berk
I asked about Kasper coding a slew rate module a while ago actually and he's said it's a possibility, so there is hope. I'd love to see one in, I can see a lot of uses for the functionality.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

I'm currently implementing a S&H module, and would appreciate your input.

It actually does S+H and slew limiting at the same time:
There's a rate knob to control the internal clock of the sampling.
Like the LFO, the rate can be sync to host tempo.
A Curve knob controls the transition curve from one held position to the next (similar to slew limiting)....
Amount controls the dry/wet mixing.

I'm gonna add a phase knob and a trigger option too.
This way, its possible to have the sampling start (reset) when a key is triggered. The phase controls the start position and can be used to wobble the sample clock too, which is fun...

Please let me know if you can think of any more nice features to add !
Thanks.