Extra Detune

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
chrisspiking

Extra Detune

Post by chrisspiking »

Marnin!

Probably my inexperience, but I'm trying to detune the output of a generator by 2 octaves down, and I'm trying to do this by putting the output of one NotePitch controller (detuned one octave) to the input of another (also detuned one octave) and the output of that into an amp, etc.

Trouble is, with one of the controllers the sound is down an octave. Putting another one in removes the effect and the sound is as normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

C
robenestobenz

Re: Extra Detune

Post by robenestobenz »

Hi Chris,

Offhand, I'd say you want them parallel. I.e. each notepitch module is initially on a separate signal path from the other, with both leading into the amp module.

So you might have a signal chain like:

Code: Select all

___|N.PITCH|________
          /                                   \
|OSC|-                                     |AMP|----etc,
          \__|N.PITCH-2 OCT|____/
As far as I understand, notepitch modules kind of group the components before them in the signal path and then use these components to make up voices (i.e note presses). So if you had a chord like D F# A, you'd have 3 voices - 3 different pitched signals from the generator running through 3 copies of the signal chain leading to the notepitch module.

//edit: sorry, I screwed the formatting, I thought the

Code: Select all

tags preserved spacing
chrisspiking

Post by chrisspiking »

Hi Rob,

Cheers for that. I get what you are saying, but my problem is that a note pitch controller (unless Im doing something wrong) can only be detuned down by one octave. I was trying to multiply the effect and get a -2 octave pitch.
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

You can get a -2 octave pitch. Basically, the octave control on the notepitch scales the pitch relative to middle C (C3). So if you set it to C1, pressing C2 on your MIDI controller or having a sequencer send a C2 note to the KarmaFX synth will produce a C0 note.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

I'm sorry robenestobenz, but doing what you suggested unfortunatly won't work.
You see the controller generates a control signal that the generator uses to set its pitch, but it (edit: i.e. the generator) can only handle _one_ control signal per module (unless you are in polyphonic mode of course).

What I would suggest, Chris, is that you use Osc2 and detune the second oscillator (by right clicking on the freq2 knob you can set its range up to 8 octaves).

hth

btw: I've just finished a pitchshift effect module, that pitchshifts 1 octave (per module) using delay techniques. you can use it for some interesting unison like effects or plain trash distortion. Oh, yeah and of course you can use it on anything incl. inputs.... it will be in next release.
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

karmafx wrote:I'm sorry robenestobenz, but doing what you suggested unfortunatly won't work.
You see the controller generates a control signal that the generator uses to set its pitch, but it (edit: i.e. the generator) can only handle _one_ control signal per module (unless you are in polyphonic mode of course).

What I would suggest, Chris, is that you use Osc2 and detune the second oscillator (by right clicking on the freq2 knob you can set its range up to 8 octaves).

hth

btw: I've just finished a pitchshift effect module, that pitchshifts 1 octave (per module) using delay techniques. you can use it for some interesting unison like effects or plain trash distortion. Oh, yeah and of course you can use it on anything incl. inputs.... it will be in next release.
!!!! Can't wait Kasper - that sounds really cool.

Thanks for the info re. the notepitch stuff - I was at work when typing and couldn't try what I wrote out.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

great! im lookin forward to that :D
chrisspiking

Post by chrisspiking »

Cheers for the help guys! Can't wait for the next release (although I think I should get used to what's there first :)

Will try what you said tonight, Kasper.