Polyphony feature request

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
robenestobenz

Polyphony feature request

Post by robenestobenz »

Hi Kasper,

I was playing with the KarmaFX synth the other day, and I noticed that you play the same key multiple times the other notes get cut off so that the previous notes of a melody cease to sound, leaving you with just the one note. Personally, I'd find it really useful if it was possible to give priority to the other notes sounding and the voices belonging to the same note are the ones that get overwritten.

Cheers!
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

sounds interesting....tell me more...how exactly should the priority be given ?
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

See Matt's post below this one - he explains it better than I do

The problem's this for me:

For example, if polyphony was set to 3 and I played and held B, D and then played F# 3 times, B and D would stop sounding. B would be overwritten first, then D and the third time F# was played all 3 voices would be F#.

Or if polyphony was two and I played and held C and then played E twice, C would stop sounding the second time I pressed E.

IMO, the unique notes of a melody are more important than multiple voices for a single note, so when the polyphony limit is reached by playing the same note multiple times I'd like KarmaFX to give priority to the other unique notes being held and overwrite the previous voices for the note that is being played multiple times.

E.g. in the first example, each time F# was played, it would overwrite or cut off (I don't know what KarmaFX does internally) the previous voices for F# rather than B or D. If polyphony was set to 4 in the first example you'd be able to play F# twice before polyphony was reached, so on the third time you played F# it would overwrite the oldest F# voice.

Hope I explained well enough, if you want me to have another go just ask!
Last edited by robenestobenz on 14 Aug 2006 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

i understand. this should be an option - either u can use the standard "kill the oldest note" method, or you could use robens idea - give priority to unique notes over repeated presses of the same note....good idea that.

like i said, give both options, maybe as a switch on the note controller module, that would be cool...
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

matthewjumpsoffbuildings wrote:i understand. this should be an option - either u can use the standard "kill the oldest note" method, or you could use robens idea - give priority to unique notes over repeated presses of the same note....good idea that.

like i said, give both options, maybe as a switch on the note controller module, that would be cool...
I wish I'd of put it that succinctly.