pitch bend

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
Somatix

pitch bend

Post by Somatix »

hello noob here. just wondering how i assign pitch bend in karma fx ie- so i can pitch bend my sounds using my midi keyboard?

cheers, adam.
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

Right click on the main workspace, follow the modulation sub-menu and select the MIDIdata module.

Ctrl+click on the MIDIdata's title bar and, still holding control, click on the oscillator's freq knob to make the connection. If there's more than one oscillator in the patch, do this for all oscillators.

Now if you go back to the MIDIdata module, there's a little drop down menu on the lower right corner of it - you can select pitch bend from here. Alternatively, you can use the MIDIlearn function.

With that, you should be all set.

//ps: Setting up the modulation wheel to affect filter cutoff/distortion amount etc is done in the same way.

//ps2: Welcome to the forums, btw. I'm in Birmingham too, funnily enough.
Somatix

Post by Somatix »

robenestobenz wrote:Right click on the main workspace, follow the modulation sub-menu and select the MIDIdata module.

Ctrl+click on the MIDIdata's title bar and, still holding control, click on the oscillator's freq knob to make the connection. If there's more than one oscillator in the patch, do this for all oscillators.

Now if you go back to the MIDIdata module, there's a little drop down menu on the lower right corner of it - you can select pitch bend from here. Alternatively, you can use the MIDIlearn function.

With that, you should be all set.

//ps: Setting up the modulation wheel to affect filter cutoff/distortion amount etc is done in the same way.

//ps2: Welcome to the forums, btw. I'm in Birmingham too, funnily enough.

nice one mate, got it sorted, thanks alot. whereabouts in brum are you from?
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

I'm not from Birmingham originally. I was living in Selly Oak for a bit, then Kings Heath and now I guess I'm not really in Brum at all - Cradley Heath, Halesowen way.

Heh, I don't recommend Cradley. Half the people are grandparents at 14, their babies suck on cigarettes instead of dummies and drink white lightning from their milk bottles.
elektri

Post by elektri »

Hi for all KarmaFX users.

How to set the pitchbend range ???
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

hi elektri......

I guess you can either turn down the "out" amp on the mididata module or left press the wire arrow and reduce the amp like that.

was that what you were looking for ?
ReaPeR

Post by ReaPeR »

This it's really an tricky way... it should be more easy have an pitch bend amount knob on the note pitch module
airyck

Post by airyck »

Yeah but the note pitch module doesn't have anything that can do a pitch bend properly. Assigning it to the oscillators frequency make the most sense. This way you can assign it to just some of the oscillators or all of them, and have them bend to different amounts. This way opens up tons of possibilities.

yepers :) Airyck
ReaPeR

Post by ReaPeR »

airyck wrote:Yeah but the note pitch module doesn't have anything that can do a pitch bend properly. Assigning it to the oscillators frequency make the most sense. This way you can assign it to just some of the oscillators or all of them, and have them bend to different amounts. This way opens up tons of possibilities.

yepers :) Airyck
yes but you had to connect more module... and set the precise amount for an standard 2 semitone bending it's quite tricky... an bending amount knob it's really a must of every synth... hardware or software!
Pleeeease!!!
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

I've been under the impression that modulating the freq knob was the way to go for pitchbend too, but I see your point, ReaPeR!

On the other hand, I wouldn't like to clutter the notepitch module with extra knobs.
But the tune knob is only +-1 semitone on the notepitch controller.
Would it be a helpful compromise if I changed it so you could adjust the range of the tune to +-more semitones ??

You would - of course - still need an extra module to make the pitchbend, but it would be easier to control the range.

Let me know :D
ReaPeR

Post by ReaPeR »

karmafx wrote:I've been under the impression that modulating the freq knob was the way to go for pitchbend too, but I see your point, ReaPeR!

On the other hand, I wouldn't like to clutter the notepitch module with extra knobs.
But the tune knob is only +-1 semitone on the notepitch controller.
Would it be a helpful compromise if I changed it so you could adjust the range of the tune to +-more semitones ??

You would - of course - still need an extra module to make the pitchbend, but it would be easier to control the range.

Let me know :D
It would be a lot easier to make pitch bend if the tune knob was of 2 semitones!!! you even won't need an extra module... you can assign the pitch bend to one of the 8 big knobs in the karma fx interface, and then assign that knob to the tune function of note pitch... so you can do standard 2 semitone bending without using the pitch bend module... now i can do this but it only does 1 semitone bendings...

PS: version 0.98 is amazing!!! I love that additive osc ^_^
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

version 0.99 will have some new auto pitch bend functionality, so pitch bend works automatically when using the notepitch module. :D
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

I've added different ranges to "tune":
+-1 semitone, +-6 semitones and +-12 semitones...
I can add +-2 semitones too if you want ?!
ReaPeR

Post by ReaPeR »

karmafx wrote:I've added different ranges to "tune":
+-1 semitone, +-6 semitones and +-12 semitones...
I can add +-2 semitones too if you want ?!
yes, it will be really usefull ^__^
the 2 semitone bending it's the standard for pitch wheel
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

done. :)