Phsycho Feedback!

Bug Reporting
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Phsycho Feedback!

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

I realise that modular synths have the potential to create feedback - so i wanted to test it out.

I wired a simple synth into an svf filter, then wired that into a distortion unit - then i wired the distortion back into the svf filter....finally i wired the distortion to the output....

SSCKKKKERREEEKKKSKASADSKASKDKASK!!!!!*pc dies*

yea so there was a brief period of screaming (about half a second) and then my pc just shut down....

so the moral is - dont make feedback loops, specially not with distortion.

Also maybe a warning dialogue might be good (but with an option to turn the dialogues off if you want).
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

I'm planning to catch infinite loops and warn about them before hooking up the wiring...but of course it shouldn't crash !.

- KarmaFX
robenestobenz

Post by robenestobenz »

I use feedback loops quite a lot in my patches, actually. You've just got to be careful with the volume faders (or use a compressor). I've nearly blown my ears to hell, but it's never crashed because feedback, I must say.

Warnings wouldn't be a bad idea though, as long as you could disable them.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Post by matthewjumpsoffbuildings »

yea i think it was just a random anomaly, i doubt if i did it again it would do the same - but introducing distortion inside a feedback loop is probably the worst module to add..... it was fun tho :D and it hurt ears like hell :P