Probably a future user but...

General feedback, questions and feature requests.
Moody33

Probably a future user but...

Post by Moody33 »

Hi all.

I'm a Nord Modular g1 and g2 user and I'm searching for a virtual synth that could replicate my NordModular favorites patches. That's why I'm here and why I'm trying KarmaFX.

Is it possible to tune the comb filter ( keyboard tuning)?
Where can I download an help file?
Is it possible to get a very fast clock (like this: sampling rate , or sampling rate divided per two? )
How is the frequency range of the oscillators?

sorry for my bad english and thanks you in advance for your answers.

Moody.
karmafx
Site Admin

Re: Probably a future user but...

Post by karmafx »

Hi Moody and welcome!

Yes, comb filter has a kybd mode where it tracks the incoming keyboard signal and adjusts the freq according to that. In this mode it has a scale knob so you can manually alter the amount of tracking.

The manual is currently only available in the full registered version, but if you want to check it out before you buy, please just pm or e-mail me.

The synth has a High freq oscillator that goes up to something like 16kHz. Half sampling rate would be possible, in theory. However, clocks beyond that would require an internal sampling freq beyond your host sampling freq (global oversampling). This is not supported. I'm curious, what do you want to use it for?

Osc's go from ~0Hz to around nyquist (e.g. 22kHz) .
Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions!
Moody33

Post by Moody33 »

Hi karmafx !

Sorry for the delay.
I'm interested about the manual, I will send you an e-mail.
I'm waiting for the mac version to really test KarmaFx because my audio setup run under Mac. However I had a quick look with the pc version and your software look promising.
About clocking, it's all about multiplexing and experimental things I used sometimes with my nord modular G2.
Do you planned to add more logic stuff such as logic gates, counter...?

Thanks.
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

pm sent.

Regarding clocks, counters and gate logic: No extra modules like that are planned at the moment, but please let me know what you would like to use it for exactly?
Chances are, that if it can't already be done in the synth, it would make sense to add it!
Moody33

Post by Moody33 »

Tell you what I would like to use logic for is hard to say with my bad english. :lol:
As I said , I come from the Nord Modular G2 environnement. If you don't know this synth, you can download the demo version of the software here ( demo is mono only and strongly limited):

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?t ... nformation

Then, browsne existing G2 modules, and you will see what I really need to rebuild my patches under karmafx ! :D

But I know G2 's architecture is different than karmafx's architecture. I think karmafx need more basic stuff like "multiply, add, substract, switches, logic-gate, note and partial quantizer, midi stuff,etc... But since I haven't explore Karmafx a lot, I actually can't say that. I need to have a more in depth look inside the beast ! I think there is some things impossible to do with karmafx but possible with the G2, and other things possible with karmafx impossible to do with the G2. I'm just searching a software replacement for my favorite hardware!

Now I have the manual, I will learn more about your synth and then I will see and give you my two cents suggestions!!!

Again, sorry for my english.
MadGonzo

Post by MadGonzo »

gating is likely referring to beat, much like i said id really love to have a module that can trigger at certain bpm multiples (?) like 1/4
the sequence module and so on, wont because it triggers on notes and such
id want it to trigger with host bpm much like effect modules can
but im not sure if thats what he meant
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

Great Moody! 8)

I once tried a g2 modular, but I didn't know there was a software version!
Thanks for the heads up! I instantly recognized some of the sounds from the old hw though. Amazing! :)

I liked the sounds of the g2, but never made any patches myself, so I'm happy to hear that you have some experience with it. Maybe you can tell me what KarmaFX is missing (if anything) ? :mrgreen:
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

MadGonzo wrote:gating is likely referring to beat, much like i said id really love to have a module that can trigger at certain bpm multiples (?) like 1/4
the sequence module and so on, wont because it triggers on notes and such
id want it to trigger with host bpm much like effect modules can
but im not sure if thats what he meant
How fast should these triggers be? And what's wrong with just having e.g. a non-triggering, synced squarewave lfo?
karmafx
Site Admin

Post by karmafx »

sorry MadG...I accidently hit edit instead of quote in your post, and deleted it! :oops: :oops: Only kept this part:
MadGonzo wrote:try to enable/disable it at random places in the song
its like offsetting the gate effect...
but I see what you mean!! So the clock might go out of phase when editing a patch or if a signal stream is stopped for some reason.
Thanks for clearing that up! and sorry again :roll: