KarmaFX Synth 0.94 released
Available in Plugin pack 1.8. Full list of changes below.
KarmaFX Synth Modular 0.94b BETA changes.
- Wiring two modules that produce an infinite loop, will now result in a
warning giving the user a chance to cancel the operation.
- Added range and snap options to right click menu on freq. controls in
Osc1, Osc2 and Sampler.
Choose between 2,4 and 8 octave range, and optionally
snap to cents, semitones and octaves. Default is 2 octaves, no snap.
- Tweaked keyb follow on filters.
Setting keyb to 32 now means tracking
100% to incoming pitch, 64=200%, 0=no tracking, -64=-200% etc. (Thanks Jeroen).
- Tweaked SSE prefetch optimizations.
- Bugfix: Fixed possible division by zero bug in Reverb.
- Improved performance of modulated LFO's.
- Bugfix: Synth could modify state of incorrect module on entry point causing
problems in MFC based hosts,
e.g. SAVIHost. Fixed (Thanks Hermann).
- Bugfix: Stupid bug had sneaked into v0.93 causing Formant filter to
overflow and even crash on some systems. Fixed.
- Bugfix: Host GUI window was allowed to erase background leading to white
squares in a few hosts.
"Fixed" by subclassing the parent window.
- Bugfix: Wire modulation volumes weren't saved with the patch. Fixed.
- Bugfix: Numerical precision could lead to signal not reaching zero with
amp modulation. Fixed (Thanks Matthew).
- Bugfix: The "Modules producing silence"-optimization resulted in
sound-glitches in variable buffer size hosts. Fixed.
- Bugfix: Polyphony was broken in v0.93, especially for chords. Fixed.
- Bugfix: Legato trigger in adsr, envelope and step modules fixed.
Another KarmaFX Synth Tutorial in this Month's Computer Music
The KarmaFX Synth Modular is again used in Scot Solida's two-page Synth Essentials column.
This time Scot experiments with Cross Modulation inspired by the Prophet 5.
Simply put, the Poly Mod section of the Prophets enabled users to route the outputs of Oscillator 2 or the filter envelope back to Oscillator 1 or the filter itself.
We can, of course, do the same with modern modular software. And so we shall, calling once again upon the KarmaFX Synth...
KarmaFX Plugin Pack 1.7 released
All plugins have been updated, and the KarmaFX Equalizer has been added to the pack.
Full list of changes below.
KarmaFX Synth Modular 0.93b BETA changes.
- Core sound engine optimizations + SSE optimizations enabled.
- Modules producing silence are now disabled internally to save CPU.
- Tweaked Moog filter - 8 pole version now works.
- Added multi-range 31 band graphic equalizer with adjustable gain and bandwith.
- Added aftertouch support to MidiData module (not tested).
- Added support for loading 24 bit int and 32 bit float .wav files.
- In non-trigger mode, modules now auto-trigger once to kickstart freerun.
- GUI: Replaced line wires with thick, shaded, antialiased wires, that can
be drawn in 3 modes: linear (default), curved, and bouncy.
- GUI: Left pressing mouse on wire arrows will now bring up a volume/multiplier
changer for patched signals.
- GUI: When Ctrl clicking on modules to connect a wire, the wire is now shown.
- GUI: Added skin switch support. No skins yet, but the functionality is there.
- GUI: Increased the horizontal size of the sampler.
- GUI: Added option to always start in "simplex" mode on startup.
- Bugfix: Fixed uninitialized data bug in one pole filter.
- Bugfix: Next-patch button would only go as far as patch 127, not 128. Fixed.
- Bugfix: First half-period of hardsynced Osc2 square was improperly inverted.
- Bugfix: Fixed potential crashbug when switching polyphony mode.
- Bugfix: In monophonic mode, holding two keys and relasing one now
reverts to last note still pressed.
- Bugfix: Sampler normalize would sometimes peak detect incorrectly. Fixed.
- Bugfix: Rendering in non 44kHz could sometimes result in crackles. Fixed.
- Bugfix: Sampler's GUI position marker would sometimes wrap too soon. Fixed.
- Bugfix: Memtrash bug fixed in step sequencer.
- Bugfix: "Unlink control" would not unlink controls in unused modules. Fixed.
- Removed Bank2 and added a new Bass bank (still work in progress).
KarmaFX Filter 1.0d changes.
- Rescaled filtermode midi range. Notch filter is now in range 95-127 instead of strict 127.
- Bugfix: Fixed uninitialized data bug in one pole filter
KarmaFX Deelay 1.0d changes.
- Bugfix: Fixed uninitialized data bug in one pole filter
KarmaFX Reverb 1.0c changes.
- Added "mod" button to enable(=default) or disable delay modulation.
- Bugfix: Fixed uninitialized data bug in one pole filter
KarmaFX Synth Tutorial in this Month's Computer Music
The KarmaFX Synth Modular is used in Scot Solida's two-page Synth Essentials column:
"Modular synthesis made simple".
Among other things, Scot shows how to setup a simple patch and modulate a filter's cutoff knob using an ADSR.
This is an incredibly powerful yet easy-to-use software modular synthesis environment for the Windows platform.
...as it's donationware, the developers ask that you make a small contribution if you dig it. And believe me; you are going to dig it!
KarmaFX Synth 0.92 released
Available in Plugin pack 1.6. Full list of changes to the synth is listed below.
KarmaFX Synth Modular 0.92b BETA changes.
- Patches are now selectable as presets in the host instead of the banks!
- Synth now supports more than 2048 samples latency.
- Instrument indices now start at 1 instead of 0.
- Added "freerun" mode for generators and modulators when Trigger not enabled.
This means the some modules (sampler,step,envelope) are triggered
starts and detriggered when stopped.
- User controls can now be renamed.
- Added frequency info to comb filter.
- Added value knob and manual mode to MidiData module.
- Clicking on "Synth Modular" logo now switches to simplex GUI mode and back.
- Bugfix: Blue "collapse" button in Sampler had stopped working. Fixed.
- Bugfix: Peak filter gain in Parametric could go out of range. Fixed.
- Bugfix: Modulation wires are now updated when switching Parametric filter.
- Bugfix: Modulating Comb/Allpass filter parameters caused zipper noise. Fixed.
- Bugfix: Changing knobs in control panel did not update host parameters. Fixed.
- Bugfix: Patch count would not always go all the way up to 128. Fixed.
- Bugfix: Synth sent host automation events when opening the GUI. Fixed.
- Bugfix: Loading an FXP with the GUI closed should now work.
- Bugfix: Window resize worked incorrectly in some hosts.
- Bugfix: Suspend/Resume (bypass) should now work.
KarmaFX Plugin Pack 1.5 featured in DTM Magazine.
The KarmaFX Plugin Pack is featured in this months DTM Magazine,
a Japanese monthly magazine for computer-based music production and multimedia technologies.
KarmaFX Synth 0.91 bugfix update
KarmaFX Synth 0.91 in Plugin pack 1.5 has been updated.
Note that version number is left unchanged.
Build 4215/16 changes.
- Bugfix: Crash bug in Cubase SX fixed.
Build 4254/55 (Latest) changes.
- Bugfix: Patch save/load should now work in Traction, Podium, and others.
- Bugfix: Save/load of presets (.fxp files) now works.
- Bugfix: Possible fix for rare crash when changing filter type (now confirmed).
KarmaFX Synth 0.91 released
Available in Plugin pack 1.5. Full list of changes to the synth is listed below.
KarmaFX Synth Modular 0.91b BETA changes.
- Changed the name from "KarmaFX Synth" to "KarmaFX Synth Modular".
This seems to be what people call it anyway.
- Added click option to ADSR envelope. On trigger this forces a value reset.
- Added declick option to Amplifier (to support quick clicky amp envelopes).
- Changed filters kybd tracking range from [0..1] to [-2..2].
- Patches are now saved within the song in the host. This behaviour is turned on
but can be turned off by unchecking "Options->Store Patch in Song".
- Added Parametric Filter with up to four LP/HP/BP/BR/PEAK/LS/HS filters in series
adjustable frequency, resonance/bandwith, gain, modulation, and order.
- One control id can now be assigned to several knobs. The controllers name
is set to the first assigned knob.
When controlling more than one knob this is
indicated by a plus sign next to the controller's name.
- GUI: Added control panel. From the control panel it is possible to change the
main volume, browse and store patches,
change bank as well as patch properties.
The 32 assignable controllers are shown in sets of 8 knobs.
controller can be assigned to a unique midi control. The midi assignments
in the registry and thus only need to be setup once.
- Added 4 new algorithms to reverb module (adapted from KarmaFX Reverb).
- Added Midi CC support for patch changes (warning: not tested much).
- Started SSE optimization of selected tasks. Mainly mixing for now.
- GUI: Added extra gui gfx to step sequencer to make it easier to understand.
- GUI: Double clicking on a handle in the step sequencer now resets its offset.
- GUI: Dragging an env/step handle while holding SHIFT limits movement to x-axis.
- GUI: All buttons now execute their function on mouse button release instead of press.
- GUI: Double clicking on the background now brings up the "Add component" submenu.
- GUI: Right clicking on wire-arrows now removes the wire.
- GUI: Added sample browsing to the sampler module. When loading a new sample
the synth remembers
the sample's folder. Clicking the up or down arrows next to
the sample display loads the previous/next sample
(alphabetically) in the
- Bugfix: choosing New Patch->Simple Sampler now actually creates a Sampler.
- Bugifx: Patch names are now stripped to avoid invalid filenames and resulting crashes.
- Bugfix: Bypassing components in hosts with variable buffer sizes now doesn't
result in random noise.
- Bugfix: Step and Envelope display was updated every frame. Fixed.
- Bugfix: "Synth FX" was in some hosts wrongly given the "Synth"'s VST id. Fixed.
- Bugfix: Midi handling fixes. Polyphonic notes don't seem to hang anymore.
- Bugfix: In some hosts the reset caused by pressing stop/play in the host
caused the first note to dissappear.
To fix it output has been offset by one sample.
- Bugfix: Output clip range adjusted.
- Updated and adapted patches to the new control panel + Added a few new ones.
KarmaFX Reverb 1.0b released (bugfix)
- Fixed crashbug when loading in Cubase.
KarmaFX Plugin Pack 1.4 released
Plugin pack 1.4 is now ready for download.
Besides improvements to the KarmaFX Synth the plugin pack now also includes the KarmaFX Reverb (Yes, finally!).
One of the synths main new features is its new step sequencer (as promised).
Full list of changes to the synth is listed below.
KarmaFX Synth 0.90b BETA changes.
- Added step sequencer with adjustable number of steps (1 to 32),
individual steptime, offset and slope for each step.
Support for tempo change, loop/wrap and snap (when patched into integral controls).
- Right channel in stereo components could contain uninitialized data. Fixed.
- Resonance control was flipped for the notch output in SVF Filter. Fixed.
- Multipoint Envelope did work correctly in polyphonic mode. Fixed.
- Lfo would sometimes return unitialized data. Fixed.
- Modulation scale for large range knobs (e.g. the note and octave knobs) was wrong. Fixed.
- Zipper noise in distortion unit. Fixed.
- Squashed more denormal bugs.
- GUI: Added time/position display to multipoint envelope when moving control points.
- GUI: Modulating Multipoint Envelope controls glitched the env. display. Fixed.
- GUI: Using menu separators could screw up the patch menu. Fixed.
- Added some new cool patches (special thanks to Flos for sharing his patch bank !)
KarmaFX Synth 0.89 BETA released
KarmaFX Synth 0.89 BETA changes.
- Added flexible multipoint envelope modulator with up to 60 seconds duration, support for individual
curve control for each control point, and adjustable sustain points.
- "Length" knob in Sampler changed to work as intended, i.e., as the real length of the loop.
(Before "Length" controlled the loop's end position).
Note, this might change the sound of patches using samplers.
- Added Position knob to Sampler component (directly sets play position).
- Minimizing a large component (e.g. the Sampler) now resizes the component on the x-axis also.
- Recoded equalizer (EQ10) to adapt correctly to high sampling rates.
- Number of automation controllers was increased to 32 but the host was still led to believe
that only 8 were available. Fixed.
- Filters in Noise and Delay component would update very slowly when tweaking knobs. Fixed.
- Current patch is now kept in memory when changing banks. This has two advantages:
(1) makes it possible to save the current patch into a different bank.
(2) work is not accidently lost by changing banks.
- Improved Bank handling. The synth should now gracefully handle banks that have been removed or
added since last load.
- Synth could crash when loading a sample while playing. Fixed.
- GUI: Added "Minimize/Maximize All" components to options menu.
- GUI: When adding a new component, that component is now shown in front.
- GUI: The sample display in the sampler would sometimes behave strangely,especially with big stereo samples. Fixed.
- GUI: Left mouse & dragging in the sampler view now scrolls the sample.
- GUI: Sample position cursor in sampler view would sometimes screw up the sample display. Fixed.
KarmaFX Plugin Pack 1.3 released
Yes, plugin pack 1.3 is out. All plugins in the pack have been updated!
KarmaFX Synth 0.88b BETA changes.
- Added a new Generator: "Osc2". This is a mixed dual oscillator with adjustable
hardsync and optional ring modulation. Supports saw, square, triangle, ramp and flexible sine.
- Added 4 extra distortion algorithms to the "Distortion" effect component.
- Added soft-knee "Compressor" Effect with RMS/Peak gain reduction and optional sidechain.
- Added "FM" Modulator that modulates the internal control signal using a frequency
ratio and modulation index (standard FM). It can run in harmonic or disharmonic mode and
has an antialias button for autoscaling the mod.index.
- Added "Envelope Follower" Modulator with RMS/Peak detection.
- Added "HFO" Modulator, a High Frequency Modulator that
supports standard bandlimited waveforms and can work as a standard HFO (i.e. like
an LFO just faster), or in FM mode. It also supports phase modulation.
- Recoded the "Decay" Modulator.
- Patch list was not updated in other instances of KarmaFX Synth when saving. Fixed.
- ADSR envelopes output changed to be in [-1 to 1] range (was [-0.5 to 0.5] previously).
Consequently, the initial Modulation Depth for the Amplifier and all Filters has been set to 0.5.
- Increased number of automation controllers from 8 to 32.
- Fixed a serious crash bug when loading a new patch after changing voicecount in another patch.
- Fixed crash bug when patching a polyphonic note pitch controller into another note pitch controller.
- Recoded the triangle-wave oscillator so it reacts correctly to pulsewith changes.
- Removed "pulse" waveform from Oscillator1 since it was aliasing badly.
- Fixed some minor GUI issues.
- The synth now silently ignores patching a component to itself instead of asking the user.
Hence, potentially dangerous infinite loop patching is not allowed anymore.
- Improved mouse patching when holding ctrl down:
It's now possible to patch several component together in a row by keeping ctrl pressed and
clicking on a series of components one at a time.
- Updated and improved the ADSR envelope.
"exp" now behave like a true exponential envelope. Same goes for "log".
- Added "Load Sample", "Clear", "Normalize" and "Reverse" buttons below the waveform display
in the Sampler window.
One can still right click, but this should make it easier to e.g. load a sample.
- Changed name of "link" led in MidiData component to "midi learn".
- Changed the patch list popup window to be three rows instead of four + added support for separators.
- Fixed a bug in the LFO frequency calculation.
- In large components, knobs would sometimes not update correctly. Fixed.
- Portamento would sometimes behave strangely in polyphonic mode. Fixed.
- Fixed rare denormal bug in Amplifier.
- Improved support for high samplerates (e.g., 48kHz and 96kHz).
- When saving in sequencer, patch index got lost when using other banks than "Bank 1". Fixed.
- Some hosts (e.g., cubase) would output noise when changing patch. Fixed.
- Added a bunch of new patches. Renamed and reordered the existing ones.
KarmaFX Filter 1.1c changes.
- Better support for 48 and 96 Khz.
KarmaFX Deelay 1.1c changes.
- Better support for 48 and 96 Khz.
- Suspend now clears delay line.
KarmaFX Synth endorsed in the June 2005 edition of Future Music.
Read "the buzz" here:
Snippet taken (with permission) from Future Music, June 2005 edition, page 16.
You can subscribe to Future Music here: http://www.futuremusic.co.uk/.
Forum and F.A.Q added to the webpage
The KarmaFX F.A.Q.
and the KarmaFX Forum has been added to the webpage.
The Forum is meant as a service where users can ask for help,
suggest features, share patches, report bugs, or just talk about music making in general.
Bugs will also be reported there as soon as they have been confirmed.
KarmaFX Synth 0.87 BETA released
KarmaFX Synth 0.87 BETA changes.
- SVF lost sound when turned off and then on, until cutoff was used. Fixed.
- GUI fix. Sometimes the modulation leds under knobs got lost at random when a patch was loaded.
- Fixed crash on systems with high latency. Max-latency is still 2048 samples though.
- A fix for the "tiny window bug" which appeared in Emagic's Logic has been added.
- Added support for resizing the window. User can choose between small (800x600) or large (1024x768).
This is changed instantly in hosts that support dynamic window resizing.
Otherwise it is changed the next time the synth is loaded. Setting is saved in the registry.
- Switching modulation module could cause other modules to freeze in polyphonic mode. Fixed.
- Poly12, Poly16 and Legato added to notepitch controller.
- Using multiple notepitch controllers in series or parallel should now work better.
- Some modules would trigger when initialized. Fixed.
- "Reverse" function added to sampler's pop-up menu.
- Retuned filter kybd tracking to be more aggressive.
- Added "Frequency" controller component. Sweep range is 14 octaves.
- Enabled knob-snap on knobs with integer ranges (e.g. note and octave).
- Opening, closing and reopnening the synth could cause a blank vst window in some hosts. Fixed.
- Added MidiTrig modulator for velocity and note midi-signals.
- Added MidiData modulator for standard midi controller and pitchbend signals.
- Added some more patches.
- Added installer exe (NSIS).
KarmaFX Synth 0.86 BETA released
KarmaFX Synth 0.86 BETA changes.
- Limited max number of inputs into a component to 10.
Before too many inputs caused a crash.
- Major memory leak fixed.
Before, opening and closing the synth many times would cause a crash.
- Buggy ADSR retrigger fixed
+ increased ADSR times from 2500ms to 10000ms
+ re-adjusted envelope amplitude.
- Added extra save info.
"Author" and "Description" fields are now saved with each patch.
- Strange behavior when rewiring a Polyphonic synth was fixed.
- Improved host update of automation controls.
Would sometimes still be active in the host even though they were disabled. Fixed.
- Ouput component is now undeletable.
Before an output-delete would cause a crash.
- Fixed crash bug when selecting "New Patch".
- Added infinite loop check when connecting a component to itself.
- Added experimental mouse wheel support (only works in some hosts).
- Edited some old and added some new patches.
KarmaFX Synth 0.85 BETA released
KarmaFX Synth 0.85 BETA changes.
- (First public beta release.)
- Rock solid accurate midi-triggering (<0.85 had glitches).
- Added automation controls.
- Better band-limiting of classic synth waveforms.
- Added noise and input generators.
- Added Comb,Allpass and Shelving filters.
- Fixed many, many small silly bugs (too many to mention anyway).
- Hunted and crunched a few more denormal issues.
- Fixed minor gui errors.
- Made skin support (skin is stored in an external dll).
- Increased max number of patches from 32 to 128.
- Polyphony fixes.
KarmaFX Deelay 1.1b released
KarmaFX Deelay and Filter 1.1b changes.
- Better sounding delay line interpolation.
KarmaFX Filter 1.1b changes.
- Filter-mode button did not kick in before a knob was moved - fixed.